A bit o Hurdle making:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
We have recently started making hurdles for our own use,i saw them at a garden center the other day and they were selling for £60 a piece! shame i havent got a limetless supply of them or i would be making them as a living! the kids have been joining in and have really enjoyed making them,heres a few pics:

hurdle form by fishfish_01, on Flickr

hurdle form by fishfish_01, on Flickr

hurdle ,uprights by fishfish_01, on Flickr

first few rows by fishfish_01, on Flickr

taking shape by fishfish_01, on Flickr

nearly finished by fishfish_01, on Flickr

finished by fishfish_01, on Flickr

so far we have made 4 hurdles and are planning a further 5 0r so then some 2 footers for edging the veg garden.

thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's an art to making good long lasting hurdles :) well worth doing though.

The reckoning is that the cropping for coppicing is around seven or eight years.....and that's just time enough for them to last before the next coppicing crop is ready to make the next ones :D

Good thread fishfish :D

cheers,
M

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
nice one Justin, i love these! I have seen hazel hurdles made before where they split each limb in half to make it go further, but it must be a nightmare to get that split right every time

mate i even have a spar hook for the splitting ,gave up after wasting over 50 hazels,i think i need to learn person to person on this!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a knack to it, there really is. It's like splitting willow too, it needs kedged along while you 'feel' the rod split and adjust your pressure/angle accordingly.
It's one of those lightbulb moments, and you suddenly just 'get' it. Once you do, it's there everytime you need it.

cheers,
M

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I remember Jack Beckett (from Dorset and once of this forum) giving a masterful demo of hazel splitting at the first Wilderness Gathering....complete accuracy at amazing speed. Great to see...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE