A big knife swap for a woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
id have thought that if they were all hand made and hand finished it would be a case of make it and send it. don't understand how with such a demand for them why there are so many identical ones in that picture?

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I totally agree and more to y point if it ant got a proper finger guard then its uses are limited. in the words of mary quant "don't follow fashions, set them"
look at the knife makers on here for example ive seen some so exquisite id be scared of scratching it. yet ive got a boker bushcraft kniofe which has had some right hammer and still shaves hairs. for under £50!!
I once went into a timber yard with a friend of mine who was after buying a piece of yew to make a bow. he asked the owner a price for a particular piece and the guy said it was £200 cos it was a special piece for a snooker cue. my mate asked "did the tree know that?" my point is is a £200 piece of wood better at striking the cue ball than one costing only a tenner which is just as straight?
basically I believe that once a well known name goes on something its a licence to print money.
im not pulling anyones craftsmanship down at all but there should be a limit to the price of what is essentially a working tool a simple hand tool

items are worth as much as people are willing to pay for them, if the timber merchant can sell a piece of wood for £200 why would he sell it to your mate for a tenner?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Yeah supply and demand, but just because a merchant can sell a piece of wood for £200 does not make that piece of wood worth £200.

I don't believe those knives are worth the asking price regardless of whether they will sell at that price or not.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
I didn't say he should sell it for a tenner when he may get £200 for it. what im on about is labelling. as I said before im not questioning anyones craftsmanship what I am saying is will a knife someone pays £600+ for do a better job than one which costs a fraction of the price but yet made from the same materials has the same grind, tempered and heat treated in the same way but does not have the same stamp on them? yes items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them I don't disagree. and obviously they are now collectors items as well as functional tools to some people, and I guess what you are actually buying is a piece of bushcraft history. but knives follow fashions. as history shows us with sword mounting furniture of Japanese swords for example. remember when we were young speaking from personal experience as a youngster I was inspired by john wayne movies and such and as such I wanted a bowie knife. as many of my generation did, then came the movie first blood and all of a sudden. everyone had hollow handled survival knives. then came the phillipino butterfly knife. balisong etc. now it would seem the knife to own is the woodlore and woodlore clones and Im no different to anyone id love an alan wood woodlore or Wilkinson sword or swc but this knife was designed by ray mears cos it suited what he wanted in a knife. but as I said and still believe most strongly a knife without a finger guard can and has on numerous occasions present a clear and present danger to the person using it if for example you are trying to skin a deer or cut timber for a shelter or any other purpose in lashing snow or rain when you are wet through, and can hardly feel your hands cos its so cold so if I were to design a knife for myself it wouldn't look like a woodlore closest I can think to my ideal would be a falkniven f1 something like that.
items are worth as much as people are willing to pay for them, if the timber merchant can sell a piece of wood for £200 why would he sell it to your mate for a tenner?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Spot on Vestlenning ,,, I remember just after my pal bought his first Border bow and trying to giving me a hard time for spending 70 quid on a Sure fire torch ,,I said to him (you just spent £500 quid on a stick), don't tell him but I was a bit jealous at the time, but here's the funny bit so was he, a couple o weeks later he bought the same torch..
As for the Alan wood, all I see is a knife, and I'm knife snob ,as much a l sucker for the name as a pretty blade, but I cant see anything special about the AW blade to distinguish it from half a dozen other blade smiths around here, and charging a third of the price.
Strictly between me and you , if I rolled out a trade blanket and say you had the choice between a AW knife and a very nice 2nd hand Winchester Rifle ( both around the 500 quid mark mind ) which would you chose ? Hmmmmmm, I could buy a nice original 1864 Mansfield & lamb US cavalry saber for that cash. Even as a collectors piece it doesn't make any sense, for 500 quid I could buy an original WWII Commando Fairbairn Sykes. But as you said if you like blade pay the cash and that's OK by me to. I hope you get your Woodlore trade Monkey Boy, I know how you feel to I had to hang for 18 months for my sword to turn up, judging by the pictures only, the finish on that two wright and son knife's look ace and every bit as good as the AW to me.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Ah Cheers Gaudette now look what you and Ateallthepies have gone and done, now I have to go and fork out £65 buck for that Jacklore Wisp neck knife I didn't even know I needed "SWEEEET". fortunately my better-half still hasn't seen the brand new and now obsolete CHEERS AGAIN GUYS Boker Gnome I got me for Xmas Shhhhh...

PS Some guy on here has a great signature line, Quote (When I die, tell the wife to sell my knifes for what they are worth, not for what I told her they cost).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE