A better emergency lanyard?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
There are lots of folks plugging emergency bracelets and how to make them on YouTube these days. Most of them are based on the 'Solomon Bar' AKA 'Cobra Weave' which has some disadvantages when recovering the cord.

Here's my take on this type of Lanyard knot and a comparison against what to expect from both a Solomon Bar and my version.

Hope you like it,

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-I9Ad6H5g

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Really good vid that andy, that is a much better way to recover cord quickly!
and it still looks like a cobra knot so has that nice look to it.
cracking vid ;)

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Cheers guys, there are a few more knotting videos on my channel if you search and I'll be adding more as I feel like it.

This lanyard can be doubled back of course like the Solomon Bar and you can pack a huge amount of paracord into it. Also if you start the knot without being wrapped onto something can pull on the end loop snug after you have tied a few loops to pull the end snug, it won't pull out if you do this. This will allow you to make toggle type lanyards if you want to, just securing the lanyard at the end where you recover it from ^^

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Personally, I tend to think that I don't want the cord in my emergency bracelet to be too easy to recover, otherwise I'll end up using it when it's not an emergency... ;)

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Aye, but you can tie another one in half the time this way and you never know how pressing the need for that cord will be. Imagine unknotting a whole Solomon Bar bracelet with hands so cold they don't work :eek:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE