A belated Hi!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
I have been a member of this web site and have been contributing to threads for a while now, but haven't really said Hi formally...

I'm steven, 21 from Edinburgh, Scotland. A 4th Year outdoor Education student at Edin Uni. I'm going to pursue a career in Bushcraft from March onwards when I finish.

Main interests.....everything bushcrafty, but currently besoted by bow making, animal tracking, and all manner of naturalist studies. I suppose I would class myself a good person to ask if anyone has any outdoor education queries....where to find info etc, and hopefully I can contribute and learn from the other members of Bushcraft Uk!

cheers

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Welcome Stevo,

Intrigued! What is "Outdoor education?" What sort of careers are open in bushcraft?

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
rich59 said:
Welcome Stevo,

Intrigued! What is "Outdoor education?" What sort of careers are open in bushcraft?

Well, my degree is really a degree in education....so theory, and ways to put education into practice, but with a heavily influence on education outdoors. We therefore study alot to do with learning styles, teaching styles, designing programmes and such like, and we always discuss it with relevance to outdoor contexts. We have studied in depth alot of literature written about education and outdoor education, and in that sense it has been very academic. We have also completed practical aspects, to try to enhanse our practical skills. Most people within this sort of degree will work at outdoor activity centres for children, dealing with 'rehabilitation' of youth at risk, or just teaching skills for recreation. I however am a bushcraft child, and so therefore wish to work in bushcraft. At the moment, bushcraft is primarily taught for pleasure, skills for skills sake, but I wish to try to combine bushcraft and more traditional ouutdoor education programmes for school kids for example, because I think that bushcraft can teach a wide range of educational goals. I am currently for example writing a dissertation entitled: Can bushcraft related outdoor education programmes be justified in the Scottish School Curriculum? I intend to present this paper to some big wigs in the education dept in scotland!!!! If you want to know more, just give me a shout..

Steven

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE