A bamboo combination paddle

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I just bought a Back Country inflatable canoe:

ic140_new.JPG

I read the various threads regarding people's experience on SOTP and thought a combination paddle would be about right to start with.

But, I don't like aluminium and plastic much! And the price was a bit steep when I looked around.

So.... I made this, a combination paddle:

double, 220 cm long

DSCN1073.jpg

become two singles paddles, 145cm and 135cm
DSCN1079.jpg

As you can see, the bamboo is pretty straight

DSCN1074.jpg

The blades, cut out some left over 8mm Oak ply. A bit heavy, but free! If the paddles work nicely, I'll make another set, but more refined and lighter!

DSCN1071.jpg

Slotting the blades and the bamboo

DSCN1072.jpg

The joints, I inserted a dowel made of hard maple, again an off cut.

DSCN1075.jpg

Making the handles: cardboard pattern, the cut blank and the roughed up handle inserted into the bamboo.

DSCN1071.jpg

Using the rasp after the drive belt on the belt sander broke mid work...

DSCN1078.jpg

That's it so far. I have just epoxied all the bits together and now waiting for the glue to go off.

What remains to be done:

Using glass tape around the bamboo at the weak points, ie, around the top of the handle, at the joints and the top of the blades as well as along the joints blades/bamboo.

Then some sanding, thinning the blades edges a bit. Thenn either varnishing or oiling.

So far, 3 hours work, including thinking it up!

I'll post more pics when it's ready.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
fantastic. I dont know much about making paddles. well next to nothing really,so I can't comment other than to say it looks really good, certainly eye catching.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE