A axe mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
(Yes I know the thread title has a typo, but I don't know how to edit it! :))

This commission came completely out of the blue. I'd made a couple of matching sheaths last year for a knife and folding saw...

sheath_08.jpg

sheath_05.jpg

...and received a message asking if I could do a matching axe mask. Commissions for non-standard tools can be problematic when you can't get hold of the original item, but I got a life size drawing of the axe head...

axemask_01.jpg

...made up a cardboard blank with stiffening ribs (like an aircraft wing construction)...

axemask_03.jpg

axemask_04.jpg

...and here's the final thing.

axemask_05.jpg

And it worked. I don't think the cardboard blank would work well for a knife sheath, as you'd need much tighter tolerances, but it did well for an axe head.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Last edited:

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Geoff

I was going to sing your praises later on and take some photos, but you have beaten me to it.

It is a fantastic bit of work, especially as he has shown that he only had a scan of the axe to work from.

Once again, many thanks.

Trevor

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Here is the axe mask is operation. Fantastic job done, especially as Geoff was working from a scan.

Regards

Trevor

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well done, on the axe mask in particular,:)

I gave up on even trying to make them unless the tool was on the bench in front of me;)

Even then, you can often end up having to make several attempts to get it right ( I did anyway:eek:)

cheers

R.B.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nice one Geoff. Great looking set

miss the sheaths every now and then, is it strange to get attached to kit.

Glad to see your still enjoying Trevor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE