8 Items - 3 Days - Dartmoor Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
This has become a bit of an annual tradition for us friends, last year it was a "10 Item Trip" this year it was 8.

The idea is that food/drink and clothes are free but everything else counts as an item; even your Rucksack or toilet roll etc. counts as an item. Items aren't to be shared so you can't collaborate on kit, but it's all done with good humour and plenty of banter.

Anyway, we had a great time and here's the video, I hope you enjoy it...

[video=youtube;DwJhCMHPkOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwJhCMHPkOs[/video]​

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
I'm glad you all enjoyed the video :eek:

Well done fellas. I'm sooooo jealous. Looks like you had a fantastic weekend.

What a cracking video too! How da hell did you do dat? Very professional looking!
Thanks! Hours of work in the editing software that's how ;) I do all my own editing, takes ages but it's worth it to preserve the memories :)

Fire on Dartmoor though? Tut tut ;)
I knew this would get brought up on here, it did last year! :twak: Why bother drawing attention to it when we are the folk being responsible having a small manageable fire and clearing up perfectly after ourselves, go pester the people who don't!

We follow a leave no trace ethic and are very respectful of our environment. There was actually a camping spot better suited to our needs on the 2nd night but we decided not to camp there because there were 3-4 scorched fire-pits and rubbish everywhere.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Great video and thanks for sharing.
Can't let this go without comment though...Jetboil is for girls that like horses and rainbows...just about managed to keep the mouthful of lunch from spraying over the screen. Nice one, got a real laugh from that. :)
ATB
Sack

We follow a leave no trace ethic and are very respectful of our environment.

I don't doubt your conscientious and can see that you left no trace of your fire on the moors... but you've then posted evidence of it on the internet!

I grew up around the moors and have lit a few surreptitious fires of my own. My issue with the above video, emblazoned with official looking logos is that it imparts an air of officiality about it that some people might take to mean they can light fires willy nilly on the moors. It's not unlikely the National Park (or Forestry Commission - I'm sure they have members on here) would stumble across this and start to rethink their currently liberal viewpoint on wild camping on Dartmoor. We're lucky to be one of the few places in England and Wales where wild camping is allowed. I'd hate to see it jeapordised.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
I don't doubt your conscientious and can see that you left no trace of your fire on the moors... but you've then posted evidence of it on the internet!
Once again I commend you for being the only one highlighting this as an issue. :twak: I will just have to stop doing what I do and not bother producing anymore videos. :surrender:

... or I could stand-up for what I believe I should be able to do, do so respectfully and in a manner I trust won't end me in trouble

It's not unlikely the National Park (or Forestry Commission - I'm sure they have members on here) would stumble across this and start to rethink their currently liberal viewpoint on wild camping on Dartmoor. We're lucky to be one of the few places in the England and Wales where wild camping is allowed. I'd hate to see it jeapordised.
It's not unlikely and I understand the risk, but I have faith that the people within the DNPA understand it's not people like us (the group featured in the video) that are causing problems, we're not the issue it's the irresponsible people that leave their mess. On the walk back to the car on our final day we even picked up other's rubbish that had carelessly been discarded.

Let's not blow this issue up further, you're local to me, we should hook-up some time to discuss the issue further if you want to.

Last edited:

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Think of it this way:

If I was a member of the DNPC (which I'm not) and I wanted to make a good case for banning wild camping on Dartmoor at the next committee meeting, I wouldn't show them Ashley's video. I'd be making a good case for keeping the rules as they are, or even relaxing them.

I'd be showing them pictures of a three foot diameter burn scar left in the turf and ringed by stones - with ash, charcoal and fire-dogs left in situ. The profusion of beer cans scattered round about and the abandoned disposable barbeque.

Proving the old saying, and I quote: Rules are made for the strict adherence of fools and the guidance of wise men.

I remember this when I am lighting a fire on Dartmoor. :naughty: A fire which nobody will ever know I had - apart from the pictures. Anybody wanna see the pictures? ;)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well i was going to keep quiet , as some of you know i have had my issues , with DNPA, mostly a bunch of blow ins , that dont live on the moor or rarely visit the moor !
But as Dean has pointed out , the rules on fire on Dartmoor are quite clear , but those rules are not aimed at responsible bushcrafters , with their leave no trace rule . I ts the scallywags that leave scars , litter etc.
Yes Dean also has a valid point , that some dogooders do watch this and other websites to see whats going on , because they have had a million pounds cut from their budget this year , they can no longer ride around in landrovers , meeting for lunch in the Rock Inn, times have changed , so if you do not leave scars , and talk about lighting fires on here we wont be reported .

Some of what i have said may not make sense , but send them my way , i know how to deal with them ...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sorry i am in rant mode , somewhere i have lived and loved all my life ,( does need rules , more relaxed than any other national park !) so a common sense and respect attitude applies , we all walk down the street and see litter , graffiti etc and despair, fortunately most of Dartmoor is too much effort for the non caring idiots to access, and in Ashleys defence as with the majority of members on here and Natural Bushcraft , you would not even know they had been there , fire or not, so from now on lets not show pics/vids of open fire within the restricted area... Look out for ours next week , before during and after !!!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all like I've said before on this forum
theres always one /ash great vid enjoyed it lets keep positive regards dave:lmao:

I totally agree with most of what people have been saying here. Which is why if you read my original reply it was quite congratulatory of the guys in the vid. I even put a winking emoticon alongside the light-hearted quip about the fire - and as I mentioned in another reply, I've lit a few myself. I didn't realise there was any history of people haranguing others about fires on Dartmoor on this forum or on Natural Bushcraft. Perhaps that explains Ashley's strong reaction to my quip. It was his strong reaction that prompted me to reply with the opposing view that I did.

As I say, I agree with most of what has been said (including that we should be able to responsibly light fires on Dartmoor in the same way you can in Scotland). However, the idea that the National Park or FC would see a vid like this and consider it a reason to liberalise the rules further is rather wishful thinking!

Ashley - please keep making the vids, I think they're great and I love the content on Natural Bushcraft. Keep lighting fires (responsibly) on Dartmoor if you want, I'm all for it. I was just dubious about displaying a vid of it in a public forum. Obviously this issue has arisen for you before and you've used your prerogative. Like I said, I wasn't aware of any back-story here...

As for a local meet-up I assume that's a genuine offer and not a metaphor for "Step Outside...!" LOL. Would be interesting to get together somewhere in the fair county but I'm a bit tied up at the moment looking after my new-born baby girl :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
looks like some lovely locations to spend the night!

I don't know the issues with camping in dartmoor but i'm guessing it's 'policed' so yobs can't ruin the nature?

What were the horse bound, dressed up men with packs of hounds doing?.. hopefully not what I think..

Looks like you guys had a nice time, what will happen with the dead cow?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
looks like some lovely locations to spend the night!
Was beautiful mate! :)

I don't know the issues with camping in dartmoor but i'm guessing it's 'policed' so yobs can't ruin the nature?
I've never been approached by anyone and unfortunately yobs are still managing to ruin the place, seen about 4 or 5 bad fire scars on the landscape up there this weekend (in beautiful spots too) they obviously hadn't watched my recent fire video!

What were the horse bound, dressed up men with packs of hounds doing?.. hopefully not what I think..
On the hunt mate. Supposedly they're all chasing a scented

what will happen with the dead cow?
Well I didn't get to poke it like I wanted too! The others didn't fancy me playing with it. :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE