70 th anniversary tommorrow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Boy that Lancasters a big old bird to get into position over the dam. A very purposeful pleasing shape, I know most folks go for sleek fighters like the spitfire and modern jets but I think my top planes are The Mosquito (which is just perfection for me), the Lancaster, the Bristol Beaufighter and the A10 Thunderbolt/Warthog. Looking at them together there is a very similar theme. Mainly power and purposefulness I think.

I agree the bomber crews should have been recognised sooner, I don't agree with harming civilians in war but it was the only way to defeat a greater evil unfortunately and those chaps did their duty to the full.

On a lighter note, not meant to distract from the gravity of the date but this always cheers me up.

[video=youtube;IUzA8FlcBPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUzA8FlcBPo[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are very lucky with these beautiful old birds - they fly out of Conningsby just down the road so we see them regularly. I do love the bass rumble of the Lancaster.

By a curious quirk, we shoot at an old WWII bomber base - a few months back I was shooting the Enfield in evening light when a Spitfire flew over the runway. Weirdly evocative for me.

Quite strange how familiar they become - especially in the Summer. Was at a friends barbecue a while ago (his son is a Navy pilot) when a plane flew over. A visitor from out of the area looked up and did a double take.

"What planes are those?" he squawked

The neighbours son took a glance and said

"Spitfire and Hurricane"

then followed it up with

"Told you Lincolnshire was like living in a time warp" :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Red, don't know where it comes from and I haven't seen it this year but there's a P51 that beats up the valley (always going NE) where I live in Perthshire. It's amazing how something so noisy appears from nowhere because of its speed then screams off at a low height. Great noise and sight.

When I used to work up near Fochabers around the first Gulf conflict/war we'd get a lot of planes above (and often below in the valleys dogfighting) while we worked away. Used to make you tingle though when the A10's seeing you were the only vehicle around for miles would use you for targeting runs. Knowing that if that 30mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon was armed then in those days up to 4'200 DU rounds a minute were going to be heading your way. Goosebumps is not the word.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Used to make you tingle though when the A10's seeing you were the only vehicle around for miles would use you for targeting runs. Knowing that if that 30mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon was armed then in those days up to 4'200 DU rounds a minute were going to be heading your way. Goosebumps is not the word.

Scary stuff Goatboy. It reminded me of a story I read years ago in an email. Just found it and I'm sure it's an urban myth, but it's still funny nonetheless.

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

'Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day...'

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not sure if it is a myth Biker, have heard it mentioned before and soo want it to be true 'cause it's a great story, like the US warship against the lighthouse that they made into an advert.

[video=youtube;brNX4xqlXJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNX4xqlXJE[/video]

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...Used to make you tingle though when the A10's seeing you were the only vehicle around for miles would use you for targeting runs...Goosebumps is not the word.
I used to get that back in the day they practiced ground hugging along our valley in my old landy.... I was never going to get away, but I gave it a good shot ;) It's a kinda formative experience being buzzed, isn't it :cool:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Pretty sure that is a myth Biker, I heard it over 30 years ago with the planes being Navy Harriers from Yeovilton.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I used to get that back in the day they practiced ground hugging along our valley in my old landy.... I was never going to get away, but I gave it a good shot ;) It's a kinda formative experience being buzzed, isn't it :cool:

Well something certainly formed the first time they did it Turbogirl.

It is very cool being up a hill and watching the planes stalk each other through the valley below, real skill. And you're right, you'd never outrun those things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE