60l Norwegian army rucksack - removing frame?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I wondered if anyone had removed the frame from the 60l Norwegian canvas and leather rucksack. As sold here http://www.militarymart.co.uk//grea...canvas-39-telemark-39-rucksack/prod_1395.html

The frame seems pretty heavy and not that comfortable and I feel it might be better without it. It gives the impression that it should be removable as it has studs and pop fasteners attaching it but some parts are sewn in.

Not entirely convinced that I will go through with this, but would be interested if anyone has already made this modification.

Thanks,

Graham

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
One could easily remove the frame from this ruck. It is fastened by two studs in the bottom (one on each side) and with the shoulder straps at the top.
Only problem is; you have to improvise a carrying system as the shoulder straps are attached to the frame and not the sack.

I would however keep the frame as the weight is marginal, and its carrying comfort would be sh*te without it (or choose another rucksack).

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Agree with Tor, ive got one of these which ive modded(new strap's and waist pad) but it would be very hard to carry without frame as you do need the frame to attach the strap's, and i think they are being generous saying 60ltr id put it more like 45ltr

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks both,

Glad I wasn't missing the obvious when it looked as if the frame could be removed but then left you with no harness.

I'm actually finding it a bit big, and the frame is making it feel even bigger, so was hoping I could have slipped the frame out and tried it without the frame, but as I said in my original post, it seemed as if the staps were permanently attached to the frame.

Size wise it seems much bigger than my 45l Karrimor, when I transferred kit across, but that could be to with the pocket design as the Karrimor has expanding pockets. There were conflicting comments here and elsewhere about the size before I bought it, and I was hoping it would be a bit smaller than its turned out to be.

Andybysea, I would be really interested in seeing some pics on how you have modified the staps and waist pad.

Cheers,

Graham

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87109 scroll down this thread, ive used the strap off the g.s. bergen and some bits of 58 patt webbing (got the straps for 99p and have loads of old bits of 58) now easy to adjust whilst wearing(both tightening and loosening) and the hip belts more padded,plus added a chest strap for extra comfort(from some nylon webbing and buckles,again got loads of this sort of stuff)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks Andy, I may look at doing something like that if I decide to stick with it. I had actually seen that pic when I looked at your post before, but didn't register it then.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE