6" camp knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
£60...

Maybe a billhook? Get a straight edged Morris knighton that hack/chop/split wood for less than £30.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
If you don't know what you want and you have no real urgent need for it then just search hennie Haynes by price with nothing in the text box. Set the price to £55-65, and select knives from the drop down menu.

To be honest, if you want a big knife for £60 your not going to end up with a very good one. So why not buy one of the larger blades from the kit section and make your own?
Failing that... I'll make you one for £60.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you don't know what you want and you have no real urgent need for it then just search hennie Haynes by price with nothing in the text box. Set the price to £55-65, and select knives from the drop down menu.

To be honest, if you want a big knife for £60 your not going to end up with a very good one.......

Oh I don't know about that: www.amazon.com/Buck-119BKS-Spec-Hunting-6/dp/B000EHWWJQ

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Oh I don't know about that: www.amazon.com/Buck-119BKS-Spec-Hunting-6/dp/B000EHWWJQ

The 119 has good fit and finish but there are a lot of negatives with it. The sheath is ill fitting and the knife rattles up and down. 420HC is a good steel for pocket knives, but it's not great quality for larger knives that you might want to batton. Plus the square handle makes hot spots very quickly in the hand.
I would give it a miss. Even at that price.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
IME all Buck knives have ill fitting sheaths, although my experience is limited to 3.

The offer to make you one sounds good!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
unfortunatly 6" is kind of that size of blade that isnt much use as a camp knife or for finer work, i would say if your going for a camp knife for heavyer tasks such as chopping, splitting and general slicing tasks, you cant go wrong with a 8-10" bladed leuku, try and find one in carbon steel with a nice high sabre grind. good luck on your search.

as for buck knives, ive found the steel they use is fairly soft so wont keep an edge aswell as the hollow grind they use, which isnt so good for biting into wood.

bushferret

Jun 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi Pignut,
I have a Becker NO 2 I got it from Bronzemoon for about 70 quid 20 or so pounds cheaper than hennie haynes although I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for it to be delivered.It's a bomb proof knife good for survival,hunting and defence.The Mod knife is good but doesn't have a patch on the Becker.
Cheers,
Bushferret

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE