58 Pattern Webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Hi all, I am new to the forum, so am probably posting in the wrong place...

But anyways, I am asking for some opinions.

I am looking to get a set of 58 pattern webbing for wild camping. I am aware that this webbing is not known for its confort, but I am ignoring that point!:confused:

What price should I be looking at all in for the following:

Yoke
Belt
Backpack
Double kidney pouches
Two ammo pouches

Many thanks everyone,

Survivor

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have something like this. I will take a photo later and see if its what your after.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I bought a full set at a surpluss store last year for only £15, so there are sets available. Although its old I find mine really comfy. Having said that, I dont over pack it with a soldiers requirements plus ammo! I wouldnt want to goto war wearing it but for the woods its a bargin.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Hiya I have a few 58 pattern pouches that are surplus to requirements and I'd consider trading/selling, but I won't be able to get at them till March if you can wait that long!
Yes, I will wait that long and take a look, thanks.

And on a seperate note, how do all of you (who have this webbing) pack it for a weekend?

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I just don't get the webbing / belt order style of carry for civilian use. To me it sends out lots of Walt and odd bod signals and is not (for me at least) as practical as a daysack. I should point out that I love and use a lot of ex military gear as it is generally fit for purpose, sturdy and above all cheap. Some stuff just does not seem a good fit though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I just don't get the webbing / belt order style of carry for civilian use. To me it sends out lots of Walt and odd bod signals and is not (for me at least) as practical as a daysack. I should point out that I love and use a lot of ex military gear as it is generally fit for purpose, sturdy and above all cheap. Some stuff just does not seem a good fit though.

58 pattern is also pretty carp once it gets wet

BTW mate gears in the post ;)

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I dont worry about what people think. If the gear works for me then I use it! Im not gonna spend loads of money on things that I can do with gear that costs much less just to please them. Ive never had any problems from other people when wearing webbing,maybe its in your mind not theres!? Any way, for what its worth, I advise you to use what you like and enjoy it. Dont worry about what others may or may not think.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Hi. I dont worry about what people think. If the gear works for me then I use it! Im not gonna spend loads of money on things that I can do with gear that costs much less just to please them. Ive never had any problems from other people when wearing webbing,maybe its in your mind not theres!? Any way, for what its worth, I advise you to use what you like and enjoy it. Dont worry about what others may or may not think.

Many Thanks Tristar777

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
'58 Patt seems an odd choice, to me. I couldn't get rid of my (hated) '58 bits and pieces fast enough when water resistant PLCE came into service.

The most ridiculous part of the set is the Pack. Thankfully, during recruit training, I had only very limited experience with it.

Do bear in mind that the pack isn't designed to be worn separately. Designed to hook onto the Yoke and clip to the Amm Pouches, it has no shoulder straps. The side pockets are so narrow, they're not much use.

And don't forget the Waterbottle Pouch - one of the better components of the set. Often a tight fit with the Waterbottle, especially when wet. (We used ours for carrying other items.)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

A good sentiment, and one that I often employ myself!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I got a set last year from my local surplus place for £15 (it was a kind of 'why not?' type purchase). I have to admit that I can't see the practicality of using one when a rucksack is bigger, more comfortable, more flexible, waterproof (thanks to a drysack/cover), and easier to wear. The 58 belt is OK, and some pouches - yes. The whole lot - no.

For about £20-30 you could have a look at a local surplus store and see if the have an infantry/other arms bergen - Endicotts have grade 2 infantry for £26, and other arms (super grade) for £21! http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=2124

They've also sometimes got the highly rated Lowe Alpine Strikes (ex Dutch army) for around £30 - see this review http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50939 and sometimes they have the bigger Stings as well. Ring Endicotts to see what they have - they have great quality control and excellent service.

BTW - Arrsepedia is less than complementry about the 58 pattern http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/'58_pattern

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. If you dont like the pack, dont use it! I use a 30litre pack and the belt set when I need to. For an over nighter in summer , just the belt order carrys all thats needed. Yes the 95 webbing is much better gear but thats like all things depends on what you want to spend and what you want to do with the gear.
For a simple bimble in the woods the 58 pat is great value if you dont overload it. If you want to include paint ball or long tramps over Dartmoor etc then id suggest better webbing or joining the Army and getting a set free!

'58 Patt seems an odd choice, to me. I couldn't get rid of my (hated) '58 bits and pieces fast enough when water resistant PLCE came into service.

The most ridiculous part of the set is the Pack. Thankfully, during recruit training, I had only very limited experience with it.

Do bear in mind that the pack isn't designed to be worn separately. Designed to hook onto the Yoke and clip to the Amm Pouches, it has no shoulder straps. The side pockets are so narrow, they're not much use.

And don't forget the Waterbottle Pouch - one of the better components of the set. Often a tight fit with the Waterbottle, especially when wet. (We used ours for carrying other items.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE