58 pattern water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techguyone

Jan 19, 2015
W Mids, United Kingdom
Was just idly wondering, if this was really first made in 1958, and if so, wow it's been going for an awfully long time without an update, couldn't easily tell when I had a look on-line, maybe someone more knowledgeable could enlighten me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over here it would more likely mean that 1958 was the year it was adopted/contracted by the military, not necessarily the year it was first made. Don't know if that's the case there or not.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Over here it would more likely mean that 1958 was the year it was adopted/contracted by the military, not necessarily the year it was first made. Don't know if that's the case there or not.

I'd agree with that. '37, '44, '58, ('68 for some clothing and '72 for some webbing) and '95. Not sure if the black plastic bottle was first used then, might have used the metal '44 bottle first.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The 44 pattern metal bottle was issued with the 44 pattern webbing which was officially the jungle issue webbing through the malaya conflict, The lighter webbing material was ment to dry out quicker and was rot resistant, and the metal bottle kept the water colder. When the 58 pattern webbing came in it was issued with the plastic bottle pretty much straight away, however the 44 pattern webbing was available for issue well into the 60s even though once 58 patt came in most stuck to the later issued gear. This meant the 44 patt gear sat around in stores. Most out of choice would aquire the 44 patt cover and bottle as it came with a metal mug that allowed you to bin the plastic mug and bottle and mess tin combo, it also allowed the use of the better cover, the 58 pattern one being prone to shrinking and becoming the krypton factor of tasks for the average squaddie to get the bottle into the shrunken canteen cover. the metal bottle allowed for heating in the bottle and could be used as a hot bottle in the sleeping bag. The draw back was they burst in freezing conditions. The 44 pattern webbing inspired the famous SAS webbing and was the basis for early versions of the webbing type.
The green bottles apparently were made by many makers, the black one was then made by one, OSPREY.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Having derailed the thread lol, I believe as above contract was 1958, first kit issued late 59 early 1960. With regards to needing an update, it is one of the best canteens made, it did get a new lid for use in NBC or CRBN procedures. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
We are still using them and I do not think there will be any update soon, I keep various military and civie bottles that I use with my kit and it does depend on how much water I need or want to carry and what I want to use. Our new pouches anre still designed to carry them ofr the size and whilst we no long have a problem with shrinking canvas pouches, the pouches still will hold a cup, bottle and a few extras with ease. I keep a metal mug with mine and use it a lot. I always carry a spare in my webbing. So have 2 litres of water in my belt kit for work. When I get out towards the end of the year I will still keep some of the systems rather than fully going onto civie ones as the work and I like and use them a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE