58 pattern poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
Hey all just a quick one, wondering what the 58 pattern poncho would be like size wise for use as a tarp for DD scout hammock as getting the hammock at end of month wonderd if I will need to get a new tarp as contemplating the British army basha at £19.95 on greenman bushcraft

Any responses much appreciated
Thanks aza148

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
The poncho will be way to short for a hammock mate. The Army basha is probably as short as you can go and even then most will say it's not long enough in the rain.
3x3 minimum seems to be the going rate.

garethw

Settler
I use the DD 3x3 tarp, its cheap, light weight, packs down small and covers the hammock just fine. I'm guessing the basha will be a bit small as the DD tarp only just covers a hammock set up adequately.
cheers
Gareth

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
As a hammocking newbie even with a 3x3 tarp it takes a little bit of wiggling about to get the hammock to sit perfectly under the tarp. In a diamond shape it's easy enough, but in a-frame you've only got half a foot each side to play with.

I wouldn't go for anything less than 3m long.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
that's why I use the 4x3 with me DD (can even add doors to keep the extra wind out). the 58 poncho I would guess is more like 2x2? I think I still have one from me army days so will check, but will definitely be too small. when I used it as a tarp when out on maneuvers I seam to remember just being able to fit under it head to foot, so probably 2m is about right.

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
I have a 58 from when I was in cadets. the dd is a little out of my price range I have a old tent which I might cut up to size

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE