54 inch Disston saw restored.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just finished restoring the £5 logging saw I got a week or so back. I didn't go mad on tarting it up as its to be used not nailed to the roof in a "Irish" theme pub!. After 4 hours in citric acid solution ( i kept throwing it in, please don't ask me the strength) i used plenty of elbow grease and various grades of sand paper and wet and dry. On the metal I lubricated it with turps subs, with plenty of ventilation, the wood was soaked in Danish oil overnight.

image.jpg1_zpsfg0gqwha.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with it, no way could I afford a comparable quality one new.

Next ill be making a wooden guard for the cutting edge, something with leather straps and buckles to hold it on.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have something similar that I am starting on.. main handle is loose and rust isn't too bad... I had wondered if the first hole near the handle was for an extra hand hold to be fitted or for hanging? Any thoughts?
I'm hoping to get going this weekend so this is an incentive!!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks folks!
The hole at the handle end is so you can shift the uptight handle at the front there if only one persons using it so you can apply pressure with both hands.

re screws, I'm not quite that bad so they can stay, although no doubt now it's been brought up it will start bothering me....

AGHHHH! Get out of my head! Say he, Lurching off to find the right sized turn screw...

atb

tom

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That makes sense, the one I have looks riveted in place but I guess I could replace it with a bolt...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's a trick of the light, there's plenty of scars and pits but no rust and the sides are nice and smooth. It will do and I'd have to remove a significant amount of metal to make it as new, which is doable but wouldn't make it any more usable. In the past I've been a bit obsessive but since I've actually started using the things I've restored I've developed a more, well sensible attitude.

mine looked like it was riveted on as well but unscrewing the handle loosened the slotted arm the rivet went through and a quick tap with a drift knocked the rivet out. You may need a couple of seconds with a file if its been flattened out a bit. I had to do that to get it back in but reassembled tightening the handle up again holds it all in place, if its the same as mine.

atb

tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I managed to miss that, thanks! The vid, very interesting. Never occurred to me the use of lubricants during sawing...

i am so unfit, the eldest and I have started sawing down a sycamore log, just off centre to make a turning blank and despite the saw removing plenty of material on each stroke I've had to pack in. I think we were doing it too fast after what's said in the video.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, the other sides rougher! Well the handles more rust stained, I had the choice to get it pretty or have a nice big handle to grip onto.

Just training the eldest two to use it safely, it's taken a while to get the concept not to push, just take it in turns to pull.

image.jpg1_zpslenelmyp.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, it took two hamfisted lads two advert breaks to do a lovely straight cut through that log. With a good rip saw it takes me for ever to do the same. With practice they will get it down to one I reckon!

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just finised another saw restoration, something for my hands to do while I'm watching The Walking Dead, a 14 inch W. Tyzack Sons & Turner job. The teeth are incredibly sharp and it cuts better than the two other, modern, tenon saws I have so I thought it worth doing up. The handle was in a right state, chipped thick reddish varnish and dented and scratched to hell. I'll give it a few more coats of linseed oil.

image.jpg1_zpslg1ooeph.jpg

ATB

Tom

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
LOL. Iv got one of those mitre saws as well Ive been meaning to start on.
Except mines brass on the top. Same handle though.
What do you mean by 'citric acid solution' for the Disston?
Thanks.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's a great rust dissolver, you can get it cheap in home brewing shops and even cheaper in swimming pool supply shops as I've read it's used to change the ph of the water in areas where that's a problem. It works best hot. A couple of heaped teaspoons full in a pint of boiling water is the normal strength I use. It will leave a grey tarnish on the surface but that comes off dead easy. Time to soak varies on how bad the rust is but if you give the item being treated the occasional brush with a soft wire brush you can speed up the process. Normally I just watch it until ll the visible red is gone then rinse off with water. Some folk use a mild alkaline solution to neutralise it but since I always finish with wet and dry or a wire wheel with plenty of oil or turps subs to lubricate straight away I don't bother.

i restocked yesterday and 2kg was £3.95. You can get it for less but this shops in our village and I was feeling lazy.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE