50lb Internature American flatbow + Arrows for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi all,

I have one of these:
http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Viper_Deluxe_Flatbow.html
not used much (50lb is agrivating a shoulder injury) complete with 10 (I think!-I will confirm) premium wooden arrows for the bow and I think off memory they are 32" long and fletched with 4" orange shield feathers.
Lovely bow, just wrecking my dodgy shoulder!
£100 posted

I would swap for something similar (even the exact bow!)+/- some ££ but in the 35-40lb flavour. AFB's, hunter recurve or anything in that type class (field/instinctive)

Thanks in advance!

Marc

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Thank you Sir, much obliged!

I have shot field again today, I have been shooting a Bear RTH compound outfit for this and having alot of fun but I am really feeling the calling for getting my instinctive/traditional side of my archery back on track.
Whatever happens I am gonna get me another flatbow or similar asap!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Actually I just realised I saw an Internature in a corner of the workshop a couple of days ago while searching for my GB axes that weren't there :rolleyes:

No idea what the draw weight is off the top of my head - I doubt it has ever been shot :rolleyes:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's two or possibly three years old but unused, having been given to me as a gift by a well-meaning but completely misinformed mum :)

I can weigh it on the bow scale tomorrow if you like.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
One word for you:

Longbow.

'nuf said.

And yes, I am bias :D

I smell what you're cooking....... I have shot them and just never REALLY got along with them. I like AFB's and am thinking of being a total heathen and hoying a few alu's through it for good measure! (if its good enough for Byron Ferguson!)
I will concede I should give a longbow more time before I dismiss one though

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Actually I just realised I saw an Internature in a corner of the workshop a couple of days ago while searching for my GB axes that weren't there :rolleyes:

No idea what the draw weight is off the top of my head - I doubt it has ever been shot :rolleyes:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's two or possibly three years old but unused, having been given to me as a gift by a well-meaning but completely misinformed mum :)

I can weigh it on the bow scale tomorrow if you like.

That would be great buddy!

I am drawing about 31" so a 50lb is actually 57lb.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Why not work the sides of your current bow's limbs down and drop the weight on it ?

Flatbows are a piece of cake (by comparison to proper bows) to re-tiller. All you really need is sandpaper, although a coarse file or even a rasp (if you are feeling particularly adventurous) speeds the process up somewhat :D

I have a bamboo backed Ipe reflex deflex longbow running at 55lb @ 30" and it's a rocket launcher.

I've also a couple of Ipe backed Ipe (yes, you read that right) reflex/deflex bend-through-the-handle longbows of 45lb and 55lb respectively and they are about as polite a bow as you could ever shoot, with the fringe benefit of being about as fast as a wooden bow can be. No sense in yanking heavy weights when you can build a more efficient bow of a lower weight...

Not all longbows are created equal...
:D

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I know what you're saying and I will be able and it would be my pleasure to host you at either of my clubs (target/field&3D) to discuss the finer aspects of this!

I don't really have the time/patience to alter my AFB to be honest. I may scrounge one of my clubmates longbows for a dabble in the meantime!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Can't help you I'm afraid - I just weighted mine and confirmed that at 45lb @ 28" it wouldn't be any good to you.

While rummaging in a pile of staves and semi-finished bows I also found a second AFB, a Samick, but it's running at 60lb @ 28 so would be even less use than the first.

On the plus side I posted that book out to you this morning [finally] :D

Good luck finding a suitable bow.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How does one work out what poundage they need for a first bow Marc ?

I'm a 5' 10" of average build but forearms like a girl

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I hate to sound contradictory but most folks actually learn on 20 - 25lb beginner bows and go up according to their relative strength in relation to technique. Most adult male competition recurve archers shoot between 30 and 40lb which, combined with the right arrows, is more than enough to shoot the privates from your average gnat if your technique is good.

Longbow and other 'traditional' archers tend to go higher in draw weights and I've yet to figure out exactly why. For a long time I messed around with heavy longbows, mainly to challenge myself and see if I could come up to muster with a heavy Mary Rose warbow. You can't easily hunt with one, and you can't be as accurate or shoot for as long as you could with a 40 - 50lb longbow. Over the last few years I have become more interested in balancing primitive bow/arrow performance and it is surprising just how fast simple equipment can shoot, given the right input.

Learning on a heavier bow is fine but only if you are naturally quite strong - archery uses muscles in a way that you can't emulate and even a big chap is better off learning on a 'jelly' bow. Once good technique has been built up you can increase draw weight within your comfort zone but you need to make sure you stay within it and not go above it. Archery injuries generally last for a very long time and heavy draw weights are one of the main causes of them - heavier weights are also more likely to cause bad form.

I can handle seriously big bows but more often than not I can be found using 45 - 55lb longbows that, because of their design, can shoot faster, flatter and further than your average 80 - 90lb longbow, and because of their lower weight I can shoot them more accurately and for longer periods.

All of my overseas bowhunting is done with a 55lb longbow and I have also successfully hunted with a 45lb longbow - you have to check state regulations for the minimum draw weight permitted though.

This change came from my research into primitive cultures variations on the longbow theme which indicate that many bows were likely to have been in the 40 - 60lb bracket, but if you keep in mind that the thicker strings would have robbed quite a chunk of performance a 60lb primitive bow would probably shoot a lot less efficiently than a modern bow of half that weight.

Maximum output from minimum input, and almost zero chance of injury...

:D

Draw weight is academic next to your ability to put the arrow where you want it to go, and staying well within your personal comfort zone will increase your shooting pleasure (and accuracy) :D

A lady friend of mine couldn't reach ladies clout range (120 yards) with her well known brand 35lb longbow - I made her one of the same 35lb weight which easily exceeds gents clout distance of 180 yards, with wooden arrows, 3 inch feather fletchings and 100 grain field tips. She had asked for a heavier bow but I made one that I knew she could comfortably handle but that offered far more return for her efforts.

Taking a beginner's course and learning on a jelly bow are a great indicator of where you will end up, not to mention being an essential step depending on the parent archery organisation of the club you are shooting at. Most folks are surprised at how much their shoulders ache after shooting a 20lb beginner's bow for the first time...

Apologies for the thread hijack :D

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Sooo tempted! Though I suspect I'd be seriously in the dog house if another bow appeared. I've a Quicks own take down Hunter with 40lb limbs too. It's a lefty though so I'll be saved a grilling from SWMBO.

I must stop looking or I'll succumb.

Al

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Thanks to Nonsuch and Xunil once again, both far more experienced than I on the traditional side of archery:D

I am 6'2" and built like the perverbial, have a physical job and I struggle with the 50lb draw but the longbow chaps and chapesses at the club seem the all have their bows in 50lb, alot of them elderly and/or not very big. You may get along with it, you may not, you may get into archery or not and if you did you might decide one of the other bows is for you.
As much as I could do with letting this go and getting the money into a lighter weight bow, I do believe you should have a go, perhaps get on a beginners course if you fancy playing at bows and arrows and I would always say its probably best to start shooting a recurve and take it from there............

Its a great hobby and well worth looking into and you can pop by ours anytime for a nosey (just joined a field/3D club in Otley too) and also the bow is here should you want a look

Cheers Guys!

Marc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE