5 sided Tarp - Prototype 1! (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I found about 30 metres of silicon coated material (not sure 100% what!) but it's light and the best thing was, it was only 50p a metre in a discount material warehouse. Being silicon coated, the water just beads on top.

My partner then set about making me a very nice 5 sided pentagonal tarp - I'd seen some on the web and they looked to be very versatile.

1st time out today, and we may have to rethink the 5 sided aspect. I don't know what the angles on the commercial 5 sided tarps are like, but mine doesn't touch equally on all 5 sides. Infact, making it into a 4 sided pyramid shape made all 4 sides peg down really well.

I experimented with various openings, having 4 points pegged down and leaving one up as an awning. I didn't erect it under a tree so couldn't tie it all up (and it was in the park, and I was supposed to be pushing the kids on the sledge!)

Managed to get free buckles from the local outdoor shop (Chevin Trek) and the webbing was about £2, so all in all, for about £10 I have something usable and unique. Now to try it out for real!

If anyone out there has a commercial pentagonal tarp - what angle does each side make at the top?

Some pics:

In the bag - made out of the same material:
DSCF5980%20%28Medium%29.JPG

As a 4 sided Pyramid
DSCF5983%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Underneath
DSCF5985%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Other Side
DSCF5989%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Tightening Strap
DSCF5990%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Boy inside!
DSCF5993%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Need a stronger pole!
DSCF5995%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Creating an Awning
DSCF5997%20%28Medium%29.JPG

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Liking that too. Use in the bottom config during the day and if (when) blowing a hoolie and raining drop the front down for more weather protection. It's a nice design. goodjob

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have a look in army surplus shops, i bought some decent aluminium tent poles in 18" sections at £3 each, they'd be great for supporting your tarp and alot stronger than that bendy pole. i use mine for supporting a parachute as a sun shade.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
The angles are 72 degrees, but it doesn't pull tight across all sides when anchored as a pentagon. I'll have to play around with it some more - maybe try different length poles in the middle, or suspend from a tree so I can experiment with heights etc.

The material is from a shop called "The Shuttle" at Shipley, and it really is pot luck what is in there. http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/the-shuttle-shipley

Snozz

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
can you suspent it from the center like a parachute? if so that's a good selling point!
Do the edges all reach the ground it looks like there's a gap all the way around?

goodjob obviously very well made! looks a bit nippy inside though!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
It can be suspended from the centre. Haven't tried that yet though.

All the edges do reach the ground - I didn't peg it out fully as the ground was frozen and I didn't have enough pegs to do this properly.
Hopefully going away in 2 weeks so will erect it properly then.

I have a hooped bivi, so this is really just to provide a bit more shelter

Cheers
Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE