5 Kg Anvil £14.99 Delivered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Harsh but true...Those types will dent very easily.Ok for occasional light hammering.Also known as an A.S.O.
(anvil shaped object)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bum! I thought I'd found a bargain then!

Could you say if the Record No. 11 and No. 15 are any use? They are cast iron as well and I don't fancy being lumbered with junk.

ATb

Tom

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The biggest lump of (even mild) steel you can find will be magnitudes better than cast iron. Look for something with a flat spot and preferably some curves too -- don't get stuck on 'anvil' shaped things. The biggest sledge-hammer head you can find would work well for small stuff, if you mount it securely.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Dont be put off!The record ones are better i think but all cast iron is brittle, some more than others.As said, a big lump of steel would be better.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I had been looking for a off cut of rail track to use but I never seam to see them now I want one.

It's a bit of a bummer as I always fancied a Record anvil as I'd visited there foundry in Shefield when I was doing a project in the six form and have certain fondness. Still I would have been really p*ssed when the first time I gave it a wack it had got dented!

ATB

Tom

Oops, posted it same time as launditch so didn't see the reply. I can get a Record no. 11 for a reasonable price at the moment is all.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Anyone work for Network Rail in East Lancs who can say were theres some off cuts, about a foot would do?

I suppose i could grovel to the Lads at the East Lancs Railway down in Rawtenstall...

ATB

Tom

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Cast iron anvils are affectionately known as "anvil shaped objects" or ...doorstops.

Som anvils have cast bodies with a steel face welded on, these are OK. Others are cast steel, these are fine and the best are forged steel. But bottom line, the face has to be hardened and tempered steel.

Railtrack is fine.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I have a 14" length of rail spare, weighs about 30lb I think. If you can figure out a method of shipping I'd be happy to sell or trade it...

Otherwise find yourself a tame engineering shop or scrap yard and buy a suitable piece of mild steel stock. 4" of 4" square will weigh about 20lb and is what most general-purpose anvils were like until relatively recently. Steel plate is good too -- if you get a piece of, say, 2" plate, 12" by 8" it'll weigh 50lb. Then you can mount it with a long edge up and take a grinder to it, so you can have two different fullers, a flat, and a butcher/side-set.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, If the postage wouldn' be a killer I'd be sorting trade goods out right now!

Thanks for the info on sizes and weights of suitable metal, I will see what i can sort.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE