5 Days Hiking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hypodermic needle and syringe and vacuum pack it...

Attach needle to syringe and stick needle in on the edge of the blister, suck all the fluid out and it will hopefully act like a vacuum, then dress the blister with some compeed plasters.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Those pics were from a couple of month back when I went on a hike/fishing trip. Socks were too thin for boots I think and just caused too much friction.

I didnt realise how bad they were until I got home.

Didnt pop them, I ended up just creaming and wrapping them.

Stung like a mofo :D

Sent from Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
A great report. Loved every minute of it.

Likewise, great to follow the kit thread and then follow it through the trip as well, some great photos and scenery along the way too.

Was interested in the pot cozy method of prepping the food, not sure what that is about, and whether there is any particular advantage in having the gas supply remote from the burner, lower height of burner and more stable perhaps ?

Cheers, Paul

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
nice one.

Message must be ten characters long.

Thanks

Superb write up, we'll done doing it solo

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the report

Very very good report of a great trip :)

Thanks Rik :)

Great report and some lovely piccies. Congratulations on what is quite an achievment - first LDP and done solo. You should feel well chuffed with yourself.

Thanks, it does feel good to have done it. Looking forward to the next time I can get away for a few nights.

Great trip mate , I enjoyed that , weldone

Cheers :)

A great report. Loved every minute of it.

Thanks Mick :)

Likewise, great to follow the kit thread and then follow it through the trip as well, some great photos and scenery along the way too.

Was interested in the pot cozy method of prepping the food, not sure what that is about, and whether there is any particular advantage in having the gas supply remote from the burner, lower height of burner and more stable perhaps ?

Cheers, Paul

I first came across [FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial]the pot cozy method[/FONT] watching Shug Emereys videos on youtube. It works best with dehydrated stuff although I found anything that needs simmering works well in it (pasta n sauce, rice etc).
Essentially you can take your food off from boiling, stick it in the cozy and it's insulating properties continue to 'simmer' the food. I found it retained 50% or so more heat than a naked pan over 20 mins (I happen to own a food temp probe). This allows you to save some fuel and avoids food sticking to the pan. Plus it keeps your dinner warm :).

I took that stove as its pretty light, well lighter than my Karrimor pocket rocket clone, and as you say stability. It also has a preheat tube which allegedly uses less gas, not really tested that though. It also allows you to invert you gas canister and use it as a liquid feed to get the last out of your carts (well that's what the eBay description said stoves aren't my strongpoint).

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Excellent trip report, Copperhead. I'd not heard of this trail before.

We're lucky in the UK to have plenty of cracking long distance paths, but I've never been able to get time off work for the big ones like the Pennine Way or the South West coast path (over 500 miles, IIRC). It's good to see more trails like this one are appearing - long enough to be a serious expedition, but short enough to do in days, not weeks.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
OK...How Awesome was that!!!....great post c-h...loved the pics and the narative...woods

Thanks Woods, glad you liked it :D

Excellent trip report, Copperhead. I'd not heard of this trail before.

We're lucky in the UK to have plenty of cracking long distance paths, but I've never been able to get time off work for the big ones like the Pennine Way or the South West coast path (over 500 miles, IIRC). It's good to see more trails like this one are appearing - long enough to be a serious expedition, but short enough to do in days, not weeks.

Thanks Doc, yeah it is a great little trail for the most part (bit too much road walking perhaps). I'd done circular walks of up to 30 miles in the past but going A-B and seeing the scenery change really made it feel like a journey.

I enjoyed that, nice to see some beer pics too. :)

Thanks Sandbender. Well the beer pics might of been a little unnecessary but I can't convey how good it was to have a cool crisp pint after drinking 'muddy swimming pool' flavour water for a couple of days ;).

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i really liked reading this report.its an inspiration to me to do something simular.i had a dvt a few years ago and still not right and hope the exercise will help.one thing i always want to ask of solo walkers on multi day hikes is what do you think about for all those miles.thoughts and feelings.i know for me id think of everything past present and future.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
i really liked reading this report.its an inspiration to me to do something simular.i had a dvt a few years ago and still not right and hope the exercise will help.one thing i always want to ask of solo walkers on multi day hikes is what do you think about for all those miles.thoughts and feelings.i know for me id think of everything past present and future.

Thanks :). That's a good question; I thought a lot, and time to think is a real luxury sometimes, putting the world to rights in your own head as you watch the scenery roll by. I can't give a better answer than 'Life, the universe and everything'. Although towards the last couple of days it was 'A pint, a cheeseburger and a sit down' ;).
I did find having an audiobook to listen too a real boon, I missed a human voice surprisingly quickly.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
amazing photos, the one with the deer running away is a classic you ought to send it to John Craven's countryfile photo comp! You doing the cleveland this year then?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
amazing photos, the one with the deer running away is a classic you ought to send it to John Craven's countryfile photo comp! You doing the cleveland this year then?

Hey cheers I like that photo too. Would love to do the Cleveland Way but this year I'm doing the Dales Way in August.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE