4x4's and the low emission zone...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Do you live in or around London and drive a 4x4? If so, the congestion charge may just be the tip of the iceberg for you. The new Low Emission Zone could hit you with a bill for £100 per day!!!

See: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx?lang=en
The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) covers most of Greater London, following the Greater London Authority boundary. In some places it deviates from this to allow for suitable alternative routes and turnaround points.

All roads, including certain motorways within the boundary, are included in the zone. The M25 motorway is not included, even where it passes within the boundary.

All parts of the Congestion Charging zone fall within the LEZ. If you drive within it you will need to pay the Congestion Charge in addition to any applicable LEZ charge unless you are exempt or entitled to a 100 per cent discount.

Check your vehicle for LEZ compliance by entering your vehicle registration here...

http://lezlondon.tfl.gov.uk/lez/vehicles/default.aspx

Many older landies are hit by this.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Not subject to LEZ

TD5 Disco seems to be ok at the moment, the area or zone also covers Greater London, check out the maps to find exact area, it could catch a lot of people out.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
dont drive a diesal guzzler around the city you wont get hit by the charges.maybe if people drove smaller leses emission puking cars the planet wouldnt be heating up.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
dont drive a diesal guzzler around the city you wont get hit by the charges.maybe if people drove smaller leses emission puking cars the planet wouldnt be heating up.
At least the "Diesel Guzzlers" can run on biodiesel or sometimes even veggie oil.

If the "Smaller less emission puking cars" run on petrol they are worse;)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Well mine dont do that many miles, has a cleaner carbon footprint than a lot of cars, will last a lot longer than most cars so saves a load of carbon on that, and anyway I pay my taxes I'll drive what I want, I happy with it and I'm the only person I have to answer to

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
a very self centred attitude.come on guys respect the planet,and yes you will pay your taxes n they gonna go up n up driving a diesal guzzler have u even been off road in it?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Do you live in or around London and drive a 4x4? If so, the congestion charge may just be the tip of the iceberg for you. The new Low Emission Zone could hit you with a bill for £100 per day!!!

Check your vehicle for LEZ compliance by entering your vehicle registration here...

to be honest as i have worked in london from 1999 to 2002, and experienced the hell of driving there, 2 and a half hours, from the blackwell tunnel to wimbledon, on the south circular 14 miles in rush hour,how anyone would want to drive an old landy down there beggars belief imo
bernie

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i went to london a couple of months ago .second time ive been 1st time was when i was about 10 thats 21 yrs ago.and i thought it was rubbish why any1 would want to live there is beyond me let alone drive through it.nasty place to many cars people driving huge cars and the place has a funny smell!!! sorry londoners but its the pits

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Be a little bit careful here, the people you're asking to respect the planet is probably some of the people that respect it the most, don't be taken in by media hype, some is true some isn't, I teach this for a living so if you want any more facts then pm me but don't make broad accusation or comments until you've heard both sides.

Sorry if this is a bit hard but the posts in here you've put up so far seem to be purely to get into an arguement.

Matt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whilst it might be seen as a harsh tax, many people are really opposed to the owners of 4x4s who don't really need them. They do see it as a large problem that needs addressing

I think the reality of it is simply that 95% of the big 4x4's are driven by one person, never taken off road, run on conventional diesel, are not carbon neutral and are driven by people who also fly in planes. I dont hold with the argument that it's OK for you to pollute, because your neighbour pollutes more than you, but each to his own. As Doc said earlier, we all live in a glass house and I certainly aint no eco-angel. :D

Eco-van, or eco-vandal, your choice

(Oh come on - someone had to do it :D)

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Whilst it might be seen as a harsh tax, many people are really opposed to the owners of 4x4s who don't really need them. They do see it as a large problem that needs addressing

(Oh come on - someone had to do it :D)

Red

Well Red, if none of us were allowed to change our minds, none of us would ever learn anything would we?

Like many things in life, we get fed bits of information and base our own opinions on those sound-bites of life. Until we go deeper and learn more, we believe our opinions are balanced and correct. I hold many opinions, some of which are based on a half-knowledge and are doubtless wrong, others are based on deeper knowledge but will evolve continually, subject to my life experiences, as I'm sure some of yours do too. ;)

I dont think changing ones opinion is a definition of hypocrisy.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
a very self centred attitude.come on guys respect the planet,and yes you will pay your taxes n they gonna go up n up driving a diesal guzzler have u even been off road in it?

If you looked at landies they will go for ever compare that to a petrol family car that you have to renew every few years. Whats the carbon footprint of having to make petrol cars and getting rid of them?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

My "diesel Guzzler" isn't a 4WD, its an eleven year old Transit with 230,000 miles on it thats needed to carry all my tools about in.

I will try not to be too self centred in my next purchase and maybe get a Toyota Prius that in dust to dust studies is actually worse for the enviroment than a lot of normal cars, especially the ones with a long production run;)

Might need two so I can fit all my tools in em though:)

Mebbe get the missus to drive the other to work for me?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire

Well yes I have been off road in it, quite often but thats not the point, I drive it cause I like it, my choice, it does a few thousand miles a year so I'm probably putting out less CO2 than most mid range car drivers, plus its now eight years old and will last for many years to come, those cars that are junked every few years that are replaced with new ones will contribute more over the years.There are loads of arguments for and against, some are based on research some are based on ignorance, you have to make your own judgement, what ever it is I wont start slaging you off, please dont start on me for my choice:)

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
drive what you want to drive,but having driven in london regurely for 5 years, just can't see the point with all the congestion,of driving and old landy down there on a commuter basis,i'd get the smallest most fuel efficient motor possible,oh and comfort for the time your stuck in them

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Why do you need to drive if you live in London, public transport is good, beats sitting stuck in a vehicle blabbing down the phone to your boss with excuses as to why your going to be late

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE