4x4 advise sorry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I no there has been similar questions lately but im wanting to get a 4x4 as a 2nd or maybe 3rd vehicle. It needs to be large and no more than £2000 and will be used off road(light).
iv owned quite a few models, defender, discovery1, hilux surf, ford ranger. Missis has a rav4.
Im heading towards a disco around a 1996/7 tdi the one i had was about 8 years ago and was spot on but im wondering how they are now i no most of the obvious sighns of boot sill rot etc but is it gona turn into a constant pain.
I will be mainly local but will be the odd long distance camping trip so need it to be reliable.
Anybody any thoughts
thanks ash

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Mechanically (engine, gearbox, transfer box, axles and possibly chassis) a Tdi Disco will likely still be sound - provided you know what to look for and are capable of unsticking the centre diff (as Tarquin's mum will never have used it on the school run). Bodywork, typically floor, inner wings and lower bulkhead, unless you find one that's been garaged, will be your stumbling blocks. Can you weld?

For it's money... still the most capable on and off road for my money, if lacking a little in 'creature comforts'.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks for help im no welder but i no a few who can, iv seen quite a few 300 tdis with t+t good condition but i few sighns of rot a expected for around £1300 so im hoping to spend a bit more and get one in top nic thats been wax oiled etc. Im in no rush so can wait for the right one, just dont want to end up with a money pit so want a fairly reliable 4x4

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Bits for Tdis are really quite cheap - even if it does break something it's the labour that will cost you more than the part. If you're any sort of spanner monkey and are happy doing your own servicing the I'd happily recommend one. If you're going to be paying the labour cost then you might want to look at something oriental, as they do tend to go wrong less if they've been looked after, but tend to cost vastly more for parts when they do. Ignore South African and Australian advice about getting there in a Land Rover but only getting back in a Toyota - that's generally born out of marketing of Toymotas in Aus and SA. Aus particularly as they're a lot closer to Japan than they are here and the dealer service for LR in Aus was conspicuous by it's absence, largely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE