-40c in a hammock. Shug has done it.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Steger Mukluks , wool and down.
Right up my street...
Oh well, I have the wool bit covered!

What a nice cat that Shrug comes across as!
Hey pete! We're gonna need a bigger bag! lol!!

Thanks for that pal.

da C.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If I had to wear all that just not to die I guarantee I would be too uncomfortable and restricted of movement to get any sleep.

In my tent I am nice and toasty until as long as I want to lay in for in the morning without having to wear multiple hats and fleecy face masks.

I have much respect for the man for getting out and who am I to knock a man having a damn good time doing a thing he obviously loves but people are out in tents in very negative numbers all the time and it isn't a big deal... it just smacks of the wrong tool for the job being pushed into service.

Still, great entertainment though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tell you what surprised me though; all the kit they lugged along.
If you're hammocking supposedly it's less bother than all the kit for a tent, but tbh., it looked like he had all the weight and bulk and none of the advantages.

I take my hat off to him though; there's no way I'm camping out in -40C in a tent let alone a hammock :eek:

cheers,
M

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
To be fair Mary, alot of V cold weather gear is very bulky, I thought they had a very reasonable amount of gear for the conditions!
Looks like they enjoyed it, which seems to have been the aim.

Best and happy new year!

Chris.

rg598

Native
I'm with Squidders and Mary on this one. It's great to see the gear tested and pushed to its limits, but it is certainly not the ideal gear for the task. In cold weather the hammock quickly loses it's advantage over ground camping in terms of volume and weight. My -40F gear fits in a 80L backpack. I love the fact that he is pushing the boundaries though.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
Well you guys are tougher than me. I hunted in the minus forties once for about half an hour, that's it. I have never spent a night out in that. Usually anything past -25 C. has me squealing like a seven year old girl that lost her Barbie doll. When I was in the far north there were times when some folk left there diesel trucks running all night, or they wouldn't start the next day. This was in the -40's and up. A big hats off to any of you that have slept in this. I have no desire to myself, but I respect it.
:cool:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
-40 in dry cold is one hell of an achievement, but if it were the wet cold we get here in the UK, at -40... no way in hell!

When the Norwegians came over to the UK during WWII, they went through cold weather training up in the North-East of Scotland. Even though they were used to much lower temperatures, many (if not most) remarked about how much colder Scotland felt because of the moisture in the air at temperatures that (while below freezing) were higher than the temperatures they were used to in Norway.

I'm listening to Ray Mears' "The Real Heroes of Telemark" audiobook, which is where that info came from ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE