40-something bushcraft virgin seeks some basic kit suggestions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Have a look at http://paulkirtley.co.uk/ Paul has some good advice on making sure you don't come a cropper against the weather and has some interesting articles on useful kit. I like Paul's blog as his advice comes from experience, he is unbiased and backs up his info with references. Nice bloke too. No connection etc. but I will admit to having been on a course run by Paul.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Age is not important. Don't go mad on gear to start off with, a modest three man tent for the two of you can be had comfortably for less than £100, one Mora knife between you for a tenner, Energiser head torch each for about a tenner a go, and a little micro gas lantern as they brighten up the darkest of nights. Add a couple of self inflating mats from somewhere like Tesco, couple of sleeping bags and your up and running for about £300 for the two of you. Absolutely no point in spending out on kit if there is a chance you and or the wife won't continue with this hobby.

Keep it simple until you are sure this type of camping is for you.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
A book and a bottle of something to help boost moral. If the weather is rotten and you are stuck in the tent in the evening it really makes a difference if you have something to entertain you. With a book to read and something nice to drink you can feel quite cosy and content whereas it can feel like a long miserable night if you are just staring at the tent walls listening to the rain lashing at the outside.
Don't know if you are car camping or backpacking but if you don't have to carry it then something comfy to sit on with a backrest makes a big difference. As they say any fool can be uncomfortable.
Oh and don't forget the toilet roll. Even if you are staying on a site the toilets always seem to run out of it when you need to go and there are no staff to be found.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
So later this year I intend to spend a few nights 'out'. It will be in the Lake District, alone at first and then hopefully with my wife (after some persuasion and most likely bribes). I will probably try a few single nights at first and then some weekends. My wife and I often go walking (so I have decent boots, clothing, flasks, compass, maps and backpack etc) but we have never camped out.

So I was hoping that some of you could recommend basic pieces of kit you would not be without that will make the experience less of a steep learning curve for a 40-something bushcraft virgin...

Hi there,

I've just spent the last two years getting together some kit after discovering the joys of wild camping. I spent hours trawling this site and others and finally (through a bit of trial and error came up with a set up that suits me. It didn't cost too much to put together and doesn't weigh too much either:

I cannot, CANNOT stress how important your sleep system is. I started with a cheap two season bag and a blow up mattress. Last year in Snowdonia it got down to freezing and I didn't sleep a wink. Think about how you sleep. Are you a wriggler, are you a fatty or skinny or tall or short. Do you like stretching out sideways or do you think you could handle a tight mummy style bag?

I would say a comfortable sleeping bag is essential. I toss and turn at night and lie on my front and side so I wanted a roomy bag that I could stretch out in, warm down to -5, which packs reasonably small and isn't too heavy or expensive. I chose a Snugpak Elite 3. Cost me £65. It's been fine.

I bought a Thermarest Neo-Air sleep mat in extra large. It's light and comfortable. Others on this site rave about the Exped Down Mat. http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

If you like a tent, buy one, but you may as I have done find yourself moving towards a tarp. It's light, durable and allows you to get closer to nature. Check out some of the tarp vids on YouTube. DD make good tarps. Get a 3x3m version. If you camp in woods you won't need tarp poles, but if you don't you'll have to buy a couple or fashion some from wood on site.

If you're worried about getting wet you could always get a bivvy bag to put your sleeping bag in. Ex army ones are excellent.

For cooking I just make a fire but if I can't I settled on a home made hobo stove. Again, look at YouTube or type hobo stove into the search button on this site. Loads of brilliant examples. Take along a plastic cup and something to eat from and a spork and you're all set.

Buy a Mora Clipper knife:

http://www.springfields.co.uk/bush-craft-field-kit/knives-multi-tools/knives-axes-saws/?id=4855

Buy a folding saw for sawing firewood.

I'm running out of steam here. Check out the forums on this site and you should get the low down pretty quick.

Number one: get a good sleep system! Hope this helps.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Also, I bought a Lowe Alpine Sting rucksack after reading the great reviews on this site. It's comfy and adjustable and adaptable and is very tough. Should last you a long time. There's ones for sale on eBay. Or just type it into Google. I think Endicott's sell them.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Thanks again for everyone's advice. I already have a good knife, torch (need to get a head torch though), firesteel, sharpenner etc, but no sleeping bags or tent or cooking system so I will start looking into those first I think. Thanks again all for your advice, much appreciated.

Luu89

Jan 16, 2011
Cardiff, South Wales, UK
I'm new here too, and it's me and my missus always. I never camp alone. I think she enjoys it more than me tbh!
But we carry a Coleman Rock Springs 3 man tent (shared between us), which is nice and cosy, but we also carry a pre-rigged tarp for setting up for cover and cooking/sitting area. Plus, if the weather is nice, you can drag your sleeping bag out and enjoy the best of both worlds. For the sake of less than a kilo in extra weight, i like to have a tarp there.

Luu.

hi try camping in your garden first if you dont like it you can go indoors to bed then progress to a campsite that lets you have fires i live in the lakes and there are some here also on the stoves some people like gas some meths or solid fuel.. honey stoves are good stoves that can be used with wood or with a triangia meths burner or vango gas stoves are also good the ones that have the gas connected by a hose are better than the ones that sit on top due to wind and if its cold you can turn the gas upside down to help the stove until it warms up and on sleeping bags go and have a look in a climbing shop and talk to a assistant about them i bought one years ago for 20 pounds it had a comfort rating of minus 10 it didnt i had a very cold night with little sleep i now use a north face blue kazoo very good bag but not cheep most importantly enjoy and learn as you go

enjoy:fishing:

W

wilder

something to line the rucksack if not waterproof - black bin bag

make an alcohol stove from a aluminium bud bottle.

if can't afford Down get the lightest 2 season synthetic sleeping bag and buy a decent silk liner mummy shaped for extra degrees and wear thermals esp chest, head

piece of lightweight tarp from b&q / homebase always comes in handy as a groundcloth.

a piece of Radflex radiator heat reflection material is good to sit on for insulation and if hammocking works well as a mat

pointnorth sell fabric to make bivis, easy to do and cheaper + much lighter than army type

above all dont spend too much until you know what you are aiming for or you'll end up with a box full of stuff too heavy to take (glances to box full of stuff too heavy to take):yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE