40-something bushcraft virgin seeks some basic kit suggestions...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
So later this year I intend to spend a few nights 'out'. It will be in the Lake District, alone at first and then hopefully with my wife (after some persuasion and most likely bribes). I will probably try a few single nights at first and then some weekends. My wife and I often go walking (so I have decent boots, clothing, flasks, compass, maps and backpack etc) but we have never camped out.

So I was hoping that some of you could recommend basic pieces of kit you would not be without that will make the experience less of a steep learning curve for a 40-something bushcraft virgin...

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I guess it depends on what conditions you'll be in and how far away from civilisation you will be. A kelly kettle would be good for cooking up water and food if you get a little kit for it, fits in a bag neatly too. Not got one personally but i hear they are great, or...make a hobo cooking set, there are threads here showing how to.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
personally i think that the most important bit of kit is your sleeping bag. its worth spending a bit of time looking and a bit of cash buying as it makes for a really miserable night if you're cold. i can only recommend what i use and that is this -
http://www.surfmountain.com/Models....dium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Shopping-UK
i paid a little less than that for it and it has seen me through nights less than -10 and i was still warm.
there are definitely other bags out there tho, just make sure its decent.

also are you intending to tent, hammock or bivvy??

resnikov

Have a look at this thread, I took each the heading ie "Something to sleep under" and sorted my kit to make sure there I had all my bases covered. Its personal choice for a lot of things like do you want to sleep on the ground or in a hammock?

Tarp - Can be used with both a bivi and a hammock
British Army Bivi Bag - Easy to use and cheap
Sleeping mat - Cheap foam one will do to start
Stove of some kind - How much to spend? :p Hexi stove will do to start, its cheap and it works. Honey stove quite a bit more bit a lovely peice of kit.
Paracord - So usefull it should be handed out at birth.

Have a look at your local Army Surplus store for kit.

resnikov

It might also be worth testing any new kit in the garden incase it all goes a bit pair shaped the first time you use it. You dont want to be miles from no where and putting up a tarp for the first time in an unexpected down pour, that would not be fun :p

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
It might also be worth testing any new kit in the garden incase it all goes a bit pair shaped the first time you use it. You dont want to be miles from no where and putting up a tarp for the first time in an unexpected down pour, that would not be fun :p

Wiser words were never spoken...

E

ex member coconino

resnikov's advice is spot on. I'd go further and say it's worth dashing out on the next rainy night to practise pitching your shelter in the dark and wet. Make sure you know you can unpack what you need without losing small gear, like pegs, and without getting the rest of your gear wet. I've pitched so many times that I can usually do it on auto, but it's amazing how quickly things become a challenge in wet and windy conditions, especially at night, and such weather isn't entirely unknown in this country!

Something else to do is spend a weekend "camping" at home. By which I mean pack your rucksack and only use what you've packed, even though you're at home. Cook your meals on a camp stove and plan your meals ahead as if you were going to have to carry two days' worth of grub. Use water from a bottle and only refill it with water you've "filtered" and "purified". Turn the central heating off, open the windows, sleep in your sleeping bags on the floor, etc.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
resnikov's advice is spot on. I'd go further and say it's worth dashing out on the next rainy night to practise pitching your shelter in the dark and wet. Make sure you know you can unpack what you need without losing small gear, like pegs, and without getting the rest of your gear wet. I've pitched so many times that I can usually do it on auto, but it's amazing how quickly things become a challenge in wet and windy conditions, especially at night, and such weather isn't entirely unknown in this country!

Something else to do is spend a weekend "camping" at home. By which I mean pack your rucksack and only use what you've packed, even though you're at home. Cook your meals on a camp stove and plan your meals ahead as if you were going to have to carry two days' worth of grub. Use water from a bottle and only refill it with water you've "filtered" and "purified". Turn the central heating off, open the windows, sleep in your sleeping bags on the floor, etc.

why dont you just go camping?!! i find the fire damages the decor and the wife gets annoyed at me peeing on the pot plant in the corner!

E

ex member coconino

why dont you just go camping?!! i find the fire damages the decor and the wife gets annoyed at me peeing on the pot plant in the corner!

:) :) Not to mention felling the furniture for carving spoons and using the curtains for cordage!

Anyway, I reckon it's a good idea and I'm sticking to it... :p

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think you're doing it right.

Quite a few people here have posted kit lists, it's a never-ending source of chatter and, it has to be said, fun. There's a "Kit Chatter" sub-forum which will be worth a look. You've had some good advice already. Just for the sake of being a bit more specific, take a couple of torches! I wouldn't be without a head torch, and I like one which won't switch itself on accidentally in my pack. I like everything to use the same batteries if possible so that they can back each other up without carrying spare batteries on their own. LEDs get a lot more hours of illumination out of a battery than incandescent bulbs. I do like
candles, storm lanterns and other flame-based lighting but they're not as convenient nor are they as safe as battery-operated lamps. I've stood watch all night in February with nothing but a storm lantern for heating, it's surprising what heat you can get from them.

As has been said a stove doesn't have to be expensive, but stoves can be addictive. I don't want to get into the whole stoves thing here because it's all been before, but I've never been fond of hexi stoves. They're cheap to buy (less cheap to run), light, convenient and the fuel doesn't spill but they don't smell nice and they make a bit of soot. You can burn wood on them if you run out of hexi. You can get a meths stove complete with billy and cup for very little money. You can even make one from instructions found in dozens of places on the Internet including this site. You can get second hand paraffin and petrol stoves for a bit more money. Those fuels are smelly but can work out cheaper and a pressure stove doesn't suffer so much from wind. You can do without a stove altogether of course!

I'm a tent or bivvy user rather than a tree-swinger. I've just never liked hammocks very much. Given the option with no penalties for weight I'll take a tent and a bivvy bag, I like my sleeping bag to be inside a bivvy bag even in a tent because it keeps condensation off the sleeping bag. I like a two man tent when I'm on my own, and a three or four man tent if there are two of us.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I certainly wouldn't class myself as a bushcrafter. More a camper with pretensions. But I was in a similar position to yourself last year. Especially about trying to persuede SHMBO to join me camping. There was no way she'd have joined me in a small tent so I bought a 4-man (I was lucky enough to have long-service award which meant it was effectively free). However much we're prepared to rough it, on the whole our better halves do prefer something a little more civilised.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I agree - get a decent tent, mate. I do take a tarp as well but would only use it if I could be positive the weather's on my side & I felt like it. Did enough bloody roughing it in the Army. You can get a great tent for a couple of hundred quid that'll last a decade if you look after it. Have a look on the net then on Evilbay when you know what you want. Vango do some some good one's to start with - I can recommend the Equinox or Hurricane range, although I use a Hilleberg mostly these days - great deal off the 'Bay. Enjoy - the Lakes is my favourite place to camp & I live in Scotland!!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You need a soft cotton bag to fill with spare clothes to use as a pillow

and a few ditty bags for small essentials

these are easily made

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would go for a small 3 person tent which would give you enough room for 2 plus space for kit and admin if the weather is not what you want to be out in. Something like this: http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-d...ps/Vaude/Products/15805/SubProducts/158054000 - tarps and hammocks are nice, I love 'em but the reality is that i'm going to be sleeping in it so the view isn't that important with my eyes closed.

2 insulating mats to sleep on (my preference is thermarest but exped down ones are supposed to be good and alpkit are ok too)

I would opt for a double sleeping bag - the only seriously warm ones are crazy prices but fortunately, it turns out that sleeping bags are like gloves... fingers in gloves are colder than mittens... two people in one bag adds at least one full season from my experience.

As mentioned, something to stuff jackets or a jumper in to be a pillow.

For cooking, I like simple... one pot... you can still be creative and cook nice things but it just requires more thought. If you're allowed fires make sure your pot can handle it, so no plastic bits sticking out. Stoves - no real preference, if you're going for one that attaches to the gas cannister directly, invest a few quid in a little tripod legs thingy that clips to the bottom of the gas for stability.

Head torches... get one each, if you're bribing your wife along, include her properly... get a shewee if you're wild camping and get her a knife, a mora costs £10 and isn't a big loss if she decides she doesn't like bushcraft.

For foods starting out, I like wayfayrer as they are so easy and taste pretty good (the chocolate puding is the daddy) - if you're getting up to speed with all the other aspects as a couple, last thing you need is dodgy food... just boil the bag and use the water for coffee/tea and what's left for washing up.

Dry wash for cleaning your hands and wet wipes are perfect for a weekend away for wiping your face, pits and dangly bits. Things like foot powder are good if you're moving a lot. Basic first aid kit should always be with you while camping, if you're cooking, pack first aid for burns, woodcraft projects, pack something for cuts and drinking, pack resolve ;)

Last edited:

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Hi all, thanks for all the excellent advice. I think a tent may be the way to go at first and a good sleeping bag seems a must so I will start reading up on those. Thanks all for taking the time to get me started...

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
If you plan on going with your wife any time, make sure you get a right and left sleeping bag.

That way you can always use the rationale of sharing body heat as an excuse to zip them together for a snuggle :D

You can get good individual bags that can also be one half of a pair, and the more civilised you make things the more likely your better half is to get involved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE