4 weeks of food for wilderness camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hunter mark

Jul 26, 2009
South Bedfordshire
hello mate.

you could also pack a couple of boxes of the 'speciality' type oxo cubes - round our way can still get the indian,italian & chinese versions - they are like the tradtional oxos such aschicken & beef, but in the as said flavours.

They are light & compact and will flavour up your bland rice, noodles or make a suace for a meat or bean based meal.

The indian & chinese ones will liven up vitually anything & save you carrying a lot of other spices as theres quite a punch to each cube.

let us know how you do!

ATB Mark

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As a trail food there's also what our American cousins call GORP ( Good Old Raisins and Peanuts ) this is a bag of goodies to munch along the way as snacking ( or grazing as I prefere to call it ) keeps the tummy, body and brain fueled. Just make up some bags of peanuts (salted, honey or dry roasted) add some dried fruit (raisins, currents, dates, banana what ever you can get) but I like to spice things up with "treats" like M&M's, minstrals and the likes - chocolate in a hard case that wont melt. Munch on this and it keeps hunger down, keeps the body fueled with slow and quick release energy, and is pretty darn good.
Old staples like milled oats are great too as a) they expand in the stomach, b) good slow release energy, c) can be used at breakfast with milk powder for a cereal, d) added to soups and stews ( I always add some to mince at home to give flavour and bulk it out ), and you can make bannocks / oatcakes with a wee ticky water and some salt on hot rocks. Heck the Scottish army used to march on the stuff.
GB.

Disposable-Takeaway-Microwaveable-Plastic-Food-Container.jpg

not like those folding carboard boxes you get over there.

i use margarine tubs, since we keep them for reuse anyway. the main problem is sealing them if the contents are small and loose, but it's doable.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Not done any of this really so don't know if all the recommendations for starch and concentrated stuff is a good idea for that length of time - 4 weeks. Can dried fruit substitute real fruit for instance? The nearest that came to anything 'fresh' was the idea of sprouting mung beans, or am I looking at it all wrong?

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
OK more helpful than my idea of herding your own goats...

Dried milk is very useful as is anything that is dehydrated, whether home made or commercial. Most of the lists here look useful. Any wild fruit you can get on the way is always welcome.

What are you doing about water on the trip?

Cheers,
Steve

D

Deleted dude 7861

As it's in Scotland ......... probably just stick his hand out from under the Tarp :D :D

great thread for a newbie BTW ;)

Yep what I usually do with water, find a stream etc and catch rainwater, who's the newbie btw??

Absolutely, but as this is post No.8 I was specifically referring to me.
I have been following this thread and several others with interest gleaning what I can. As the kit doesn't start arriving for another couple of weeks it is all very helpfull stuff.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
if i was going for 4 weeks i'd seriously consider at least either one stop at a shop (huge selection in Knoydart obviously!) early in week 3 or hide a containder of food up there either before or shorlty after leaving (and loop back around to get it). I dont think i'd enjoy carrying 4 weeks worth around...especially if you include at least some water. If you're carrying that much you'll drink plenty too...hard work!

Having said that, are you walking everyday or camping in blocks?

I always seem to over-pack food, i've never eaten everything i've taken. Plus I have to say, although I enjoy a good scran at a decent restaurant I'm no foodie and could easily stick to porridge with fruit for weeks at a time. Occasional salami, mars bar etc keeps me happy enough. I'm much more interested in the surroundings normally. Take full fat milk and with one kettle full you have a big pile of carbs in the porridge and a chance to make a brew, flask even.

I've yet to visit Knoydart, after reading all Mike Tomkies books its pretty much up there as my most wanted to visit in the UK

let us know how you get on

cheers + good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE