4 season sleeping bag advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just wondered if anyone can recommend me a decent but not too expensive (i.e. under £100 preferably) 4 season sleeping bag, Im using a 3 season mummy bag at the moment but find its not warm enough and is a pain to get in when sleeping in a hammock and generally isnt big enough for me to get comfortable in (Im short but stocky and find I feel trapped in a mummy bag), so it needs to be a square bag please. Just wanted some opinions from different people so Ive got an idea on where to start looking. :confused:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What do you use for insulation under you in the hammock, if you've got an underquilt already I'd look at a winter rated down top quilt.

Last edited:

KRF1963

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2007
York
Dutch army surplus bags? Heavy but very warm. They do a side zip envelope style I believe as I have seen one on ebay.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
What do you use for insulation under you in the hammock, if you've got an underquilt already I'd look at a winter rated down top quilt.

Havent tried anything underneath in a hammock, might be why I get cold. I was thinking of trying my inflatable sleeping mat but not fully inflating it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah you'll feel the cold through a sleeping bag alone, try the half inflated mat and it'll make a world of difference, especially on the derriere :)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Yeah you'll feel the cold through a sleeping bag alone, try the half inflated mat and it'll make a world of difference, especially on the derriere :)

I'll give it a try, thanks for the advice. Just need a sleeping bag I can get into easily now. Will have a look at the army ones.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
How cold do you plan on going? I've just spent two nights in my standard Brit Army 90 pattern sleeping bag with the zip fully open as I was too hot. I was in a polish lavvu though.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
How cold do you plan on going? I've just spent two nights in my standard Brit Army 90 pattern sleeping bag with the zip fully open as I was too hot. I was in a polish lavvu though.

Not overly cold, Im pretty much a fair weather camper but I tend to sleep in hammocks more than tents and feel the cold more in a hammock. Used my 3 season mummy bag in a tent recently and was fine, so am just looking for a 4 season square bag for hammocking really.

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
have a look at the snugpak range on flee bay you could pick a new snugpak 15 up for £100 and very warm but it is at the end of your limit but failing that pop down to your local army surplus and pick one of theres up maybe £40 but still very good and warm to sleep in

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
have a look at the snugpak range on flee bay you could pick a new snugpak 15 up for £100 and very warm but it is at the end of your limit but failing that pop down to your local army surplus and pick one of theres up maybe £40 but still very good and warm to sleep in

Ive been looking at army surplus bags, but will have a look a snugpaks on the bay too. Cheers.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I know you are after a square bag, but the british army arctic bags (with a centre zip for hammocking) are so roomy, i doubt you would feel restricted inside. You will be able to bring your knees up to your chest in them no problem unless to are over 6ft 5 or something. Pretty warm. Downside is the weight and the bulk, but if you aren't planning on hiking in miles, you will be fine with it.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I know you are after a square bag, but the british army arctic bags (with a centre zip for hammocking) are so roomy, i doubt you would feel restricted inside. You will be able to bring your knees up to your chest in them no problem unless to are over 6ft 5 or something. Pretty warm. Downside is the weight and the bulk, but if you aren't planning on hiking in miles, you will be fine with it.

Im only 5' 7" so shoudnt be a problem, Im quite stocky though which is why I was looking at a square bag but friends are recommending the army bags too as they all say theyre roomy. Not worried about the weight issue as I dont tend to walk too far in, I save all the walking until camp is set up and I can go light. Looking more and more like getting an army bag, they seem to be knocking about quite cheaply too.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
+1 for the Arctic bag,
I have not used it with my hammock yet but when I go fishing I just use it like a quilt and have feet in the foot box even if I'm just under a brolly and not in a bivi, not been cold yet. also hate mummy bags 5ft6 n stocky.
There is a thread on these forums about the Arctic bags, seems some are advertised as the Arctic bag when they are not. Its worth doing a search and knowing the difference..

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
I used the artic bag at brockwell meet with a foam mat in the hammock it was that warm slept with it open only problem is mine is the half zip version so its a bit of a pain to get in but cant wait to use it in the winter :)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Decided to go for an arctic army bag, after looking around theyre much cheaper than alternatives and probably more hard wearing than a much more expensive bag, at least I wont cry when it gets dirty unlike if I spent £100 + on one. Had loads of recommendations on the army bags, so many people cant be wrong.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just got myself a standard mod sleeping bag for a £15 on the flea bay, couldnt knock it for that sort of money. Any ideas if theyre any good and what rating they are?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE