4 pointless things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I don't know how many of these you could make from 20m of £ shop paracord, let's say 4 (so 25p each). I'd rather take a 25p loss on each one, to be honest. Might be selling some for MacMillan later on

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Glad I'm not alone in this. I saw them in a local jewellers window with donations going to H4H - at first I thought it was a cool idea, but when I learned how little actually goes to the charity.... well it makes me raise my eyebrows anyway.

Mind passing on the name of the store? PM if you want dude,

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My pointles 4 items:

1) Axe
2) Folding saw
3) Multiple knives
4) Whoopie slings

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I'd be inclined to take a bushcraft knife and either a SAK or a Leatherman for the other functions they provide
4) They are expensive and not actually that easy to use but I like them (come on, they're called "Whoopie!!") and they are light

Glad to have opened up the box... :)

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I'd be inclined to take a bushcraft knife and either a SAK or a Leatherman for the other functions they provide
4) They are expensive and not actually that easy to use but I like them (come on, they're called "Whoopie!!") and they are light

Glad to have opened up the box... :)

If I ever get round to working out how to put up pictures on this forum I'll show you an alternative to whoppie slings using accessory cord and two small karabiners that is easy to use :)

D

Deleted member 4605

3) Multiple knives. Why take two or more tools that do the same job? If you loose things that often, tie them to you.

Frosts Mora for general use and an Opinel for food (only) use. Technically not the same job, but the same tool (by your reckoning). :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
every time you tie a knot or work a piece of rope you weaken it..
Where on earth did you hear that?

The structure of a knot makes the rope weaker, yes. That is purely down to the stresses on the rope - the rope is bent, so more stress on some parts of the curve. That's why joining ropes is often better done with a whipping instead of a knot. Some knots are better than others - Bowline significantly reduces rope strength due to the sharp bends. Figure 8 knot has less on an effect.

D

Deleted member 4605

4) Whoopie slings. Evil things from the dark realms of Arboriculture........

Had to Google these as I'd never heard of them. Still trying to figure out the point...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
TO prise that Pandora's box open a bit more and put that cat among the pigeons some more can I add to the multiple knives, axe, folding saw, slings with a firesteel??!! I find a match or a lighter better to use but I'll better leave now while I still can.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
There is no can of worms or contention, these things are only pointless to you and your way of doing things, unless you are telling people how to enjoy there time spent out doors then it all just personal style,:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Anything that you have not made or received as a gift, cannot repair or replace in the field or is just ugly (like Ti Sporks)...
Pandoras Box blown wide open now! :D

udamiano

On a new journey
Im still in shock from the price of those 'Buy-it' ready made bow fire-making kits on e-bay, now thats just silly!! its 3 pieces of wood and a bit of paracord...... surely their isn't anyone who has actually bought one of these (don't answer if you have, take that little secret to the grave please).. it even comes with an instruction booklet...
As with the para cord wrist thingy, well I agree about paying for one when you can make your own, and yes if your walking around Birmingham and find your suddenly in need of 2 metres of para cord, well I'm sure you could find an alternative, or just buy one..
I always have an axe, knife, metal cup, and saw though, everything else can be made.

i think my pet hate is the Jonny Rambo knives, with the compass, and survival kit in the handle....BAD....BAD....BAD

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
There is no can of worms or contention, these things are only pointless to you and your way of doing things, unless you are telling people how to enjoy there time spent out doors then it all just personal style,:)

Well said, Southey. Some of the gear I take to the woods would be considered, by some of you, as pointless. I also should say that I am not a survivalist, not a redneck, not in the militias, and not a wannabe (did it for real, now my woods time is for leisure). My gear selection is based on my lifetime experience in the outdoors; what has worked for me! I do get a lot of personal satisfaction from making some items for myself.

Gordy

Biker

pointless: pre-made fire bow sest - not if I can be the seller - think I might start a home business!

See a niche in the market (amongst the gullible) and make a product that will fill it. I am curious for how many they have sold though. Tempting to cash in on that eh? Biker looks at the pile of off cuts in his work shop and sees "kindling for sale to bushcrafters"

But those paracord bracelets for soldiers really are taking the pi$$, livid about seeing those prices they're asking compared to what's actually donated. 70 years ago that would been called war profiteering and the culprits dragged out into the street and tarred and feathered.

I think this thread is becoming a twin of the useless kit thread a few weeks ago. Nice though, no compaints about reading somehting interesting and people's opinions.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Execllent first four items, especially the paracord bracelet, very Freddie Mercury IMHO, go well with brightly coloured rubber bands you see young folk and middle aged 'right on' women wearing.

Titanium mugs
Sporks
Baccy tin survival kits
Overpriced torches
Over bright torches (shone in my face my response is "Lets see if it lights you up when I ram it up your jacksy")
Swedish Army alcohol cooksets
Some people who use Dutch ovens (like many Apple phone users they spend all day haunched over their beloved item cleaning said item and not talking to the outside world)

Great thread :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sporks

Great thread :)

I hate sporks. - Cr*p forks - worse knives and you have to hold the fork end to use the only useful bit ie the spoon. And the handle is never long enough. Gove me a kitchen spoon any day.

If everyone is honest they would admit to only really using the spoon.

Andy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We bought a couple of sporks but I agree, we've only used them as spoons

What's wrong with Swedish army Trangias? I was going to buy one for the car as they're quite compact

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
ok I havent been active on this forum for a year or so, but what on gods green earth is a 'whoopie sling' !?

As for my top 4 useless things,
1) GPS, universally its agreed you need a paper map and compass just incase your gps fails, so why bother with GPS 1st time round.
2) Survival kits, if your into BC you've probable got a knife and enough knowledge to make this redundant.
3) Underblankets for hammocks, sleeping mat anyone?
4) Mess tins, buy a crusader mug. It'll be worth it in the long run,.

To reply to Satry; I agree that an axe, in Britain at least, is little more than an expensive anchor (at least in untrained hands). A folding saw however, is an invaluable and lieghtweight tool to whomever wishes to have a campfire lasting more than a few hours. Wishes to coppice a piece of wood for a project, or needs to improve a shelter.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE