4 man tent with room for activities

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Hey. So I went camping this weekend with my partner and her two boys, we took her dads 4 man tent, it was one of the ones that is just a 4 man tent, meaning no room to move about, store stuff, awning etc What I am looking for is still a 4 man tent so if me and her go alone it is not massive but sleeps 4 comfortably with room for storage and somewhere to sit in the pouring rain that is comfortable and not just lieing in your bed. I hope this makes sense.

what do people think of these?
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/927-Bergans-Lavvo-4-6-Man-Tipi-Tent-6040/

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Agree that a tunnel design would be better for your needs. one sold as being for 6 will be about right for the four of you. With enough living space for your stuff and for sitting in.

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
What sorts of places are you planning to camp? Sheltered, exposed, forest, by the sea... Also what kinds of activities and what times of year? Are you trekking a distance, or camping from a car? It's hard to advise without these kinds of details, but I'd agree tunnels are versatile and spacious.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My advice is to buy a good gazebo. That way, using the existing tent, you don't have to take a massive do-it-all tent if it's for overnight trips and all your cooking smells don't get into your sleeping tent.

Modular win!

We use a MSR Papa Hubba which is perfect for sleeping in and for a quick overnight or weekend.
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-3/WG104.html

And a Quechua gazebo for longer trips or where there is parking at the pitch.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/camping-shelter-3m-x-3m-fresh-id_8295843.html

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Or -
Sort yourself out an ex Polish military surplus Lavvu (see my post yesterday - Extensive Lavvu mods) (size 3) - use it as shown with ample space for you +1 and if you need additional space set up the two shelter halves as 'bell-end' tents and arrange a ridge style canopy in between the two i.e. the ex Belgian pup tent or if operating with open fires use a canvas tarp - this set up gives you maximum versatility whether you deploy on your own or with the family - just takes a bit of time and application to prepare it. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A tarp might help. Very light and compact to stow in comparison with a tent for the extra living space you get. Cheap enough to try something from the budget suppliers, maybe upgrade to something stronger if it works for you.

For a group of four I'd consider something in the region of four to five metres on a side, but seven by five woudn't be out of the question - as long as it isn't blowing a gale. You could all dine under there in great comfort.

Tarps can be very flexible. I use one more than I use a tent, sometimes using a tent just for a wind break with a tarp over it.

I rarely close up the tent flaps if there's a tarp over the entrance, much less condensation that way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE