Bergans Lavvo S - 4/6 Man Tipi Tent and Frontier Wood Burning Camp Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Bergans Lavvo S - 4/6 Man Tipi Tent - http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/927-Bergans-Lavvo-S-4-6-Man-Tipi-Tent/

Frontier Wood Burning Camp Stove - http://wildstoves.co.uk/new-products/frontier-stove/

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with these as I am thinking of making a purchase?
Do I need a flashing kit or can I just run it out the top? What do other Tipi/Lavvu owners do? As far as I can tell I can either have the stove in the centre of the tent and run it out the top or have a flash kit and run it towards the side of the tent.

Any advice appreciated as I have no experience with either.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi mate, i've got the bigger Bergans Lavvu and use the frontier stove with it. It's best to run the stove pipe through the top of the lavvu. i use a fire tape that i've wrapped round one and half sections of flue and never had any bother with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stove-Gla...Rope-Black-Flat-Woven-Rope-Seal-/140877019646

As i say, i've had the Bergans teepee for over a year now, but have used it at least 20-30 nights out with the stove running no problem. the frontier stove is a great wee stove for the money, it's only downside is that the paint flakes of it quite easily and it starts to rust, but it's not a problem,a quick wire brush from time to time and a can of stove paint from somewhere like halfrauds for £8 and it's as good as new.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Does it need lots of layers for the tape? Can the stove do a night burn without a refil? I was concerned that it would be hungry and need a feed every five min. Does it warm up the tent real well?

I am considering buying the kettle attachment as that looks really useful too. The info you have given is really useful. Thanks for it!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I run the Helsport stove in my Bergans 4-6, it has a heatshield collar section though so the top hat can be wrapped tightly around it.

I've seen Cols Frontier with the fibreglass rope on the flue pipe and it works just fine

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Stove wise the Frontier is a good bit of kit, but soon as it gets cold the first 20 inch up from the ground in the larvvu will be quite cold , The Helsport is a different beast gets the whole lavvu hot :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Shewie
We might have been bidding against each other for a while then :)

Nice lavvu for a good price

I bowed out at about £300 :-D

I had it in my watch list as well. :)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Tent has arrived. Not had chance to pitch it yet. Got some of that glass tape too. Do I need a lot as I have about a meter or so of it but it's not very wide. Little nervous about firing up the stove and burning the top out.

The tent weighs heavy and the stove plus all other gear will be impossible for one person to carry. I'm will probably need something sledge like, behind me. Any ideas?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tent has arrived. Not had chance to pitch it yet. Got some of that glass tape too. Do I need a lot as I have about a meter or so of it but it's not very wide. Little nervous about firing up the stove and burning the top out.

The tent weighs heavy and the stove plus all other gear will be impossible for one person to carry. I'm will probably need something sledge like, behind me. Any ideas?

You need to pitch the tent and get the stove setup Leigh, you'll be able to see how much of the pipe you need to cover where the fabric comes into contact with the pipe.

From memory Col's wrapped a couple of the pipe sections, you could probably get away with doing just one or even half if you can pitch consistently. You won't always get perfectly flat pitches so the stove height could vary.

The heat shield on my Helsport stove is a good 16-18" long if that helps, a different design but it does the job

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs

If you are planning on snow camping, maybe a pulk;

http://www.snowsled.com/ice-blue-plastic-pulks/

The purpose built ones are pretty expensive, but there are cheap plastic sleds available these days which would probably suffice for reasonable loads.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how much glass tape did you need in the end? Also do you double wrap it or just a single layer?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE