3x3 Tarp & bunking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I would have thought so, if you are putting one above the other there isnt much point in having a steep pitch on the tarp as it wont shelter the bottom hammock anyway so you can just have it at a relativly shallow pitch

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i reckon yep,...

i sling my hammock really low so i have a good 360 view,..and i never get wet in any type of rain,..

i have seen some folks do the opposite and get right up under the ridge (may aswell buy a tent IMO!)

so from this i reckon if one of you doesnt mind the compromise one way or the other you'll be snuggly ,....

post some piccies when you do it please,....

Stu..

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Thanks for your input :) Taking OH and dog for a canoe trip in April. It's her first time in a hammock so I want to make sure it's as comfortable as possible. Reckon she can sleep on the top hammock and the dog and I will take the bottom one. If it rains she should be dryer than us :p

Will be sure to post pictures after the trip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got to see the pics for this one :)

How high is the top one going to go? How will the mrs get in? As soon as there's weight in they'll drop two or three feet each.

I'd seriously think about getting a second tarp and saving the marriage :)

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
LOL! If she leaves me I'm taking the canoe and she'll have to signal for S&R! :p

I'm taking the tent along as well so if things don't work out I'll hang up the hammock & tarp for living and set the tent up for the night. Really hate sleeping in a tent though. Aches and pains in places I never knew existed...

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I've triple hammocked under a standard army basha in the tropics!

The main things to consider are the logistics of getting into the upper hammock(s) and what the weather is doing.

You're likely to have less ability to shelter from winds (and/or rain) coming in from the sides. I'd have thought you'd be dandy in a 3x3 with 2 in all but pretty bad weather.

You could also:
- Grab a second cheap or light tarp to have two very close set-ups
- Both set up of a set of 3 or 4 trees that will let you set up side-by-side... Having a more flattened shape on your tarp to maximise the area underneath.
Both of these might be possible under a 3x3. It depends on the trees / supports. That's what I like about a hammock set up, as long as there's something to hang off you can create some really great camps!

Having said AAALLLL that, if it is someones first time out a cheap (or borrowed) set-up would probably be best? When I got the Mrs hammocking (on our Honeymoon - not the first night! ;)) I'd picked up a set-up on the cheap and gave her the Hennessey.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am with Shewie on this one but I would also consider ground sleeping with the dog with someone slung high enough above me even then it wont be the most convenient option tbh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE