3rd Sheath Attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Probably the last one I'm going to bore you with honest, :D apologies for the the poor piccies, just grabbed a couple of snaps as I was heading out the door this morning.

This one was for my F1 which I usually crossdraw from my left hip so I thought I'd try a combo right hip vertical/left hip horizontal/necker stylee. Originally the straps were going to be a simple H shape with the cross bar way to one side very like the cracking one in jojos post but I had a bit more time at the weekend and decided to make it a bit fancy and try and get the straps to follow the line of the top opening of the sheath. This was a bigger job than I thought, getting the straps to be the right shape was really difficult as you are bending them round the sheath in a composite curve. It took 3 attempts to get this one and even then it's not quite right. This is the back;

3329775145_ab57b124ca.jpg

Not too happy about the straps, they look a bit raggedy as it was difficult to bevel the edges cleanly in the tight corners and I'm not to happy about the shape of the sheath, it widens at the blade end which I think is due to the leather not having to wrap around the handle. I should probably have scalloped the sheath in a little at the blade end but with the welt in there and the thickness of the blade there isn't much to lose.

3329775259_93a13a97f5.jpg

What did go well was the stitching and burnishing, I'm happy I've sorted them out now. I just need to wax the sheath and see how that turns out. Next project is already sketched out and involves a bit more strap work. Getting a bit addicted now!!

Cheers,

Alan

Nice looking right there, and it also looks like it will last a long time! How did you do your stitching, machine? Looks REALLY good if it was by hand.

And yes, it is addicting. You'd better watch it or your significant other will be asking why you have five sheaths for one knife!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well, Chainsaw, nothing wrong with your sheath. It works, and keeps your knife safe and your fingers out of harm's way. The stitching does look very neat indeed. It's only the people who don't do anything who don't make mistakes! I have some nice piles of leather offcuts and ruined bits of work to prove it! I made a sheath before the one in the pic and the darn thing ended too narrow, I couldn't put the knife in it :censored: :censored:

I normally first use some fairly thick paper/card and sellotape to make a model of the sheath, that cost a lots less than good leather. You need to make the top end of the sheath wider than the bottom, to accommodate the larger handle, so when you close it and put your knife in it it , the sheath then looks "right". And yes leather work is addictive!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Thanks all for the kind words, not really happy with the shape and finish but the (hand) stitching I was pleased with. Every time I do one it gets better so by sheath 24 they should be ok ;)

I used paper for the template and I suspect this didn't simulate the thickness of the leather so made it weird. I'll try the card next time. Oh and I've a ways to go before my sheath to knife ratio gets to that level!!

Cheers,

Alan

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
Thanks all for the kind words, not really happy with the shape and finish but the (hand) stitching I was pleased with. Every time I do one it gets better so by sheath 24 they should be ok ;)

Alan

I know what you mean. I have been making a few holsters and the first one was butt ugly. Now I am on my 5th and they are looking alloooooot better.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nice idea with the beeswax, I usually use erm well spit :umbrella: Seems to do the job and it's nice to put some DNA into your work ;) I use an old bit of wood that I sanded a hollow in and rub that until it binds them in. The problem I had with the edging was in the wee nooks and crannies of the strap work. Looking at it again in the flesh, it doesn't look as bad as the fist photo, must be a compression artefact or somesuch, here's the same piccie in bigger format, wee bit raw but OK.

3329775145_ab57b124ca_b.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE