308 round found in my local wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
I go to a particular wood a couple of times a month, I have stealth camped there for one night In the summer but have spent numerous days there exploring etc,
It's not a big wood but has a public bridle way running the length of one side.
On exploring one day found a hide on stilts in a clearing so I went up for a look ... I found a spent 308 shell on the floor.
Now this is quite a serious round, for such a place.
This is a privately owned forest so really I shouldn't be wandering around there, but loggers are currently working in there and some sort of temp roadway has been built into the centre.
I'm sure a stray round could easily reach the bridle way,...
What are your thoughts ??

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Do you mean an empty brass .308 case? If so why do you 'serious round'? It's quite common for someone to shoot deer from a high seat with a .308 and it wouldn't need to be too far from boundaries as the angle of the shot will/should mean a safe shot. The whole point of safe shooting is there are no 'stray' rounds (even a .22LR can travel for a mile or so!).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A .308 is a common deer round, sounds like you found an empty case in a high seat which ensures a downward trajectory and hence a good backstop. I'm sure the landowner will co-ordinate culling and forestry. I'm not sure what the problem is?

eta <great minds!!>

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A .308 is a common deer round, sounds like you found an empty case in a high seat which ensures a downward trajectory and hence a good backstop. I'm sure the landowner will co-ordinate culling and forestry. I'm not sure what the problem is?

eta <great minds!!>

I had never married the height and the trajectory together..... Always wondered why guys would climb up a tree to shoot game. Thanks.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Dont think it is any concern of yours, what this man does on his property. I do think he should be concerned about you, on is property. Live and let live mate. Or stop trespassing.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Thanks,
Ammo, didn't post this to offend, of course it's up to the land owner what he or she gets up to on his own land,
As I'm not a "shooter " and to be honest , you should only kill to eat , not for fun ( but that's just my opinion not forcing this on anyone at all)
Yes I am trespassing so to are the countless dog walkers I have met on my travels , and I don't condone trespassing at all , I leave no trace , have no open fires and take away my rubbish aswell as other irresponsible forest users litter !!
I have searched in vain to find the owners, but this is proving to be difficult.
I was mainly concerned for public safety for such a larger than normal round, but if these do not go a stray I rest my case.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
No offense taken mate. Although i find it strange that you don't condone trespassing, yet you often do it. If the owner does/doesn't hunt, he may of left it deliberately. To let people know that hunting takes place on the property, or to scare off the strange man with the knife, saw and axe who camps on his property.
I agree with the only hunt for food point, i can't condemn trespassing as i was wild camping on the weekend. I just don't think it's any of our buisness.
Thanks,
Ammo, didn't post this to offend, of course it's up to the land owner what he or she gets up to on his own land,
As I'm not a "shooter " and to be honest , you should only kill to eat , not for fun ( but that's just my opinion not forcing this on anyone at all)
Yes I am trespassing so to are the countless dog walkers I have met on my travels , and I don't condone trespassing at all , I leave no trace , have no open fires and take away my rubbish aswell as other irresponsible forest users litter !!
I have searched in vain to find the owners, but this is proving to be difficult.
I was mainly concerned for public safety for such a larger than normal round, but if these do not go a stray I rest my case.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Be careful where you stealth camp, when a stalker is looking for a safe backstop at dawn/dusk he may not notice your tarp in the bushes. A .308 round in your lughole might just spoil your day!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I don't know much about nothing really, but you shouldn't be trespassing or stealth camping on private land without permission (none of my business, i know) And i would be more than sure the landowner knows soeone is wandering around his wood with a 308, because even with a silencer, when fired i think it kicks out about 180 decibels, also at 4000 feet per second, don't think you would know too much about it if one hit you in the ear! As somebody earlier warned.

Take care and be safe.

Ivan...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I would be very surprised if the landowner wasn't aware of deer control being carried out in his woods, he may have even paid them to do it.
I don't know but would guess a .308 is the second most common deer round used after .243
The stalker will know where the public paths are and may position the high seat so as to avoid shots in that direction. They are often away from paths both for that reason and to avoid vandalism as people often don't understand what/why they are

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
As well as kill to eat its also necessary to kill to manage numbers but the meat will still end up on the table. There is lots of deer in the country at the moment

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I agree with the majority here, trespassing, you are in the wrong. I know we all do it, but two wrongs don't make a right.

As a keen stalker myself, i have often let a deer go rather than take a shot i wasn't happy with and if i knew a person was camping in the woods i shoot in i would personally tell him to B*&&*r off.

The land owner may have paid but more likely, some one may have have paid to shoot there and not just deer.

The only advice I would give you is stay out of the woods and find some where else to camp i'm sure its not the only woods in the area and if you are trying to find who owns the land, why not go and ask if you can use it and that way you won't clash with the deer and other shooting that may take place on the land.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I would also add in the interests of education that the presence of a footpath do NOT automatically prevent or preclude the shooter from using that location.

Yes there is a few pheasant shoots that have to display the dates they are shooting on some footpaths around here and people cannot walk there on that day.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would be very surprised if the landowner wasn't aware of deer control being carried out in his woods, he may have even paid them to do it.
I don't know but would guess a .308 is the second most common deer round used after .243.....

It's actually an extremely versatile round that can be loaded up or down to suit taking many species. As Ivan said, the average velocity is around 4000 fps with a bullet weight of 150-165 grains or so, ND That load is ideal for deer sized game. However it can be loaded up to a much higher velocity and with much heavier bullets suitable to taking bison sized game or loaded down (with sabot rounds0 to a very flat shooting round suitable for taking jackrabbits and samal varmit shooting.

Only the 30-06 is more versatile in that it can be loaded upwards even further to a load adequate (though not ideal) for grizzly bear.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Without wishing to sound too pedantic, 150-165 grain bullets would see velocities under 3000 fps, even a very light 100 - 110 grain bullet would only produce a velocity of around 3,000 - 3300 fps. And the heavier the bullet the slower the velocity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE