2CV Sahara

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
This little belter had two engines, one front and one back, four wheel drive doodle to fix could strip and rebuild the entire thing in a couple of days and heaps of fun to boot

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Northsky said:
This little belter had two engines, one front and one back, four wheel drive doodle to fix could strip and rebuild the entire thing in a couple of days and heaps of fun to boot

Is that the 'James Bond' car from 'For your eyes only'?:D

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
2CV yes, Sahara no. They were a bit rare and very sought after now. That isn't to say that people aren't making their own twin engined 2CV's for off road. Mind you Citroen weren't the only people at it since I recall a twin engined mini, though it must have been rubbish off road since it lacked the 2CV's independant suspension.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The Bond one was in theory conventional. When you watch closely you can see all the sump guard, roll cage et al. Amazing the things you can learn when you Dad used to sell the tin snail!

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
sam_acw said:
The Bond one was in theory conventional. When you watch closely you can see all the sump guard, roll cage et al. Amazing the things you can learn when you Dad used to sell the tin snail!

Off road 2CVs I've come across have these along with other mods

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Thinking about it I've seen Mini Mokes with 4wd as they have 2 engines! There is at least one at the Motor Heritage museum at Gaydon

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
2CV sahara

i always wanted a mehari, the 2cv chassis plastic pick up. you often see them in tropical french colonys.

800px-Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari_sand_vl.jpg

cheers, and.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Meharis are nice though the 4x4 versions aren't as great as they should be, though I forget exactly what the problem is, I seem to remember that it's weakness in the transmission somewhere.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
twisted firestarter said:
The Mehari looks nice but imo not as useful as a converted 2CV
:drive: :burnout: :D

don´t see a reason why one couldn´t convert a Mahari ...

Long time ago I´ve owned a 2CV 16hp multiple use vehicle - in fact I´ve transported all sorts of things (rolled the "roof" back and a huge christmas tree was no prob.) in it, it was perfect as a camp mobile (easy to take those fantastic camping furniture ....). It had a 6 volt electric system :yuck: , the heating system we modified to an air intake from the cabin. We devided the cabin with some insulation material into a 2 seater.
Citroen had the 2CV delivery van - a couple of Dutch enthusiasts converted that into a mobile home.
And yes, we were dreaming of that twin engined SAHARA and of using VW engines (at that time a 2 liter 70hp was on the market) & gearboxes. A BMW flat twin (or even a Honda Gold Wing engine) also should fit with some minor modifications. Imagine 2 of those drivetrains: enough power to get the Duck flying :D :lmao:

Should be no problem to convert a standard 2CV or a Mehari ....

The SAHARA didn´t have independent suspension?

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Sahara did have independent suspension as far as I'm aware, can't imagine why it wouldn't have. Actually the main reason for not converting a mehari is that the plastic is starting to get a bit fragile now and I don't think you'd want to risk crunching one off road. Not unless you've got access to the South of France of course!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
cyclist said:
The SAHARA didn´t have independent suspension?

Butchd said:
Mind you Citroen weren't the only people at it since I recall a twin engined mini, though it must have been rubbish off road since it lacked the 2CV's independant suspension.

Both the 2CV and the Mini have independent suspension. MKI / III / IV / V Minis use Moulton rubber springs while MK II Minis use a Hydrolastic fluid system. Both systems give excellent on road handling but limited travel for keeping all four wheels in contact with the ground in an off road situation. The lack of suspension travel's irrelevant in an off road Mini...the car's low stance means that the sump, exhaust, or floorpan will probably ground out before the lack of articulation becomes an issue.

By contrast, the 2CV has lots of suspension travel and sits high off the ground so it is fantastic off road, but you can scrape the door handles if you take a roundabout at more than walking pace on road... :burnout: :drive:

2mdfde8.jpg

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
<grins> Well pointed out. I did actually mean both lack of ground clearance and lack of suspension travel but the brain obviously wasn't engaged. I seem to recall a mini I had with wide wheels and group 5 arches. Couldn't have been an inch of travel between tyre and mudguard but the bugger never rubbed once.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
havingagiraffe said:
the 2CV has lots of suspension travel and sits high off the ground so it is fantastic off road, but you can scrape the door handles if you take a roundabout at more than walking pace on road... :burnout: :drive:

true - the nice thing about that: you´re still driving ;). I´ve never managed to flipp a 2CV and you bet we drove enthusiastic ....
2CVs had no electronic stuff as ASP on modern cars - remember the A-class Merc. in Sweden :D

BTW, there have been lots of other twin engined vehicles, most of them prototypes. Some were made decades ago by Tempo (near Hamburg) for the Swedish military.
Jan de Rooy drove DAF Turbotwin trucks pretty fast from Paris to Dakar

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Butchd said:
<grins> Well pointed out. I did actually mean both lack of ground clearance and lack of suspension travel but the brain obviously wasn't engaged. I seem to recall a mini I had with wide wheels and group 5 arches. Couldn't have been an inch of travel between tyre and mudguard but the bugger never rubbed once.

I know exactly what you mean. :) Twin axle tow dolly on the back of mine and the suspension still didn't move... :D

havingagiraffe said:

Minis rock... :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE