2010 DD Frontline Hammock question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hiya,

I have recently purchased a DD FL hammock in the group buy that Sandbag organised (thank you again Sandbag!).

I have a question though about the tapes to tie it up with...

They come as a none fixed loop through the material. Do you tie both bits to the tree, or can you fix it through the loops with maybe a bowline knot and use a single length of the tape to go round the tree?

I am planning on using the Siberian hitch at the tree, but surely this is for a single tape, rather than it doubled up?

Hope my question makes sense!

Cheers,

Chris

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Great, cheers.

That will bring tension to both sides of the hammock, rather than bunching it up to a single point.

Is that an advantage, or makes no practical difference?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It'll still bunch it up as that's how gathered end hammocks work. You can use some spacer bars with a bit of modding to give your shoulders some room though if you like.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
To give you a bit more flexibility, especially with tree spacing you may want to look at some of the hammock mod's for the DD. One you have hinted at already and involves creating a small loop at either end out of the supplied tapes and using a couple of lengths of climbing tape to attach to the tree.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Carabiner Mod:

myddhammockandtarpsetup.jpg

Stick used as spacer, bungee to a thin line hung under tarp:

Wrap around Tree and tie in a bow:

Travel Hammock Mod:

ddmoddedhammock8.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
definately do the carabiner mod, it prevents water tracking down the cord and wetting the hammock n bad weather.

I have a 3 year old mk1 dd hammock lol and i ditched the green cord it came with cos it was to stretchy, i got some climbing accessory rope. put a loop of it through the hammock ends about 10inches diameter, and clipped a climbing 'D' ring to it. the bit for round the tree i took about 5 metres for either side and folded it in half and then tied a series of overhand knots in it about 2 hands widths apart all along the length.

then i wrap that round the tree and fed the tail end through one of the loops made by the overhand knots, clip to hammock and away i go. i can get my hammock pretty tight with this setup and can get it up and down quick without having to dick about with knots at all lol as its already pre-tied.

there is a video of it on youtube somewhere, dunno if its still there it was ages ago

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I have had no problems with running a single length of the DD tape to the trees (from the caribiner), and I'm not exactly a mere slip of a lad. Gives you more length to play with (and more flexibility with choosing a spec.

Oh - and I tie it similar to MrEd - except using a series of alpine butterflies to make the loops.

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
Set mine up today for the first time and I love it !!!!!!!:D Will be doing the mods this week while I wait for my whoopie slings. Today as the trees were quite far apart I did a hitch a one end of the tape and pulled the other end through it and then tied that end to the tree with a Siberian, worked fine and took my 17 stone;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE