2005 retrospective

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I'm away alot over Xmas and New Year, so I know this post is slightly early, but am looking forward to reading the responses.
Bushcrafty answers only folks :)

So Highpoint
Lowpoint
Hero
Plans for 06

Heres mine

Highpoint--- After far too much time of having bushcraft as an interest best persued from my living room, to getting out and about as much as possible doing ,learning ,suceeding and failing.

Lowpoint---Getting ill on one of the courses I did, that was rubbish

Hero--- At the risk of sounding very sycophantic. Tony, without him creating this place Bushcraft would still be a lonely occupation.

Plans for 06--- Making as many meets as possible, getting my first bunch of students through OCN Bushcraft successfully.

Anyone else?

Mr Strop

Reactions: Tony

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
So Highpoint-got to be the wilderness weekend
Lowpoint- getting delli belly
Hero-my mate bob - top chap
Villain-kind of agree with yu about woodlore
Plans for 06-let you know as soon as i know

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Fantastic thread RS, here's some Rep points ;)

Highpoint – Moving to a beautiful part of the country where I’ve got more opportunity to get out and do bushcraft stuff. It’s great for the kids as well!

Lowpoint – Getting really sick after moving here (internal bleeding! :( )
Then having my house flooded (day after I got out of hospital!) And; nearly loosing my boy :eek: :( I'm still being sick, although getting better, it just stops me doing all the bushcrafty things I want. It's been an interesting few months! :rolleyes:

Hero – I’ve got lots of them, if you’ll forgive me for sounding a bit sycophantic I think it’s you lot and those that run the schools etc. You all inspire me and I learn so much from you all. Thank you.

Plans for 06 – Get on with life! Refine Bushcraft UK and get some more great info up on the site. Lots of Reviews, Articles and info….It’s going to be fantastic. And I’m going to get out more, lots more!!

Thanks Razorstrop for a good thread. :You_Rock_

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
What a year for me!

High point: Spending 10 days in the Arizona desert and being able to pass on some of the skills that I've developed over the years.

Low point: Not being able to attend courses and meets.

Hero: A Canadian man that I have not met, yet know that he and I could be good friends and brothers, if given the chance. He brings not only his experience, but wisdom that helps me to become a better man and bushcrafter. Carcajou Garou has given much of himself and his heart. I wish him well on his lifes journey and look forward to more of his wisdom gracing this forum.

Plans for 06': Move to Idaho.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Oh, it has defintiely been a big year for me!

Highpoint: Going off to University! (I've only just got back, so 'scuse my absence!)
It's been really great so far, but I've yet to meet anyone who'd be up for a good ol' bit of backwoods camping; I'll have to get my preacher-hat on and bite them with the bushcraft bug myself, it seems! Also, my epic two weeks on the side of Loch Lomond was absolutely fantastic; I've never been so hungry, tired and wet in my entire life, but the feeling of getting that fire going and setting into your day's gatherings every evening was simply indescribable. Also, as a particular incident, when we found out that the coracle we built floated was one of the single best moments... shame we didn't catch any fish from it in the whole fortnight!

Lowpoint: Freshers' Flu and my toe getting infected at Loch Lomond.

Hero: Batman. ARR!

Plans for the new year: Do well in my exams! Also, I want to go on another epic camp. That'll have to be a definite.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hmmmm.

Highpoint. A split between our Summer trip into the far North of Scandinavia and Lying in a hammock watching a family of otters hunting at the Scottish meet.

Lowpoint. The death of a good friend and skilled bladesmith Stefan Hugel in a hunting accident.

Hero. It's always Debbie, my partner, for putting up with all my wild and hair brained schemes.

Plans. More Bushcrafting, The Full Members Meet at Chedworth, Return to Norway, Maybe a canoe.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hey - Good thread

Highpoint - Getting Married. It was a wonderful day and made my long suffering girlfriend year.

Lowpoint - BCUK flintknapping weekend with John Lord - ok it would have been great if i didn't have a DVT and pulmenary embolisms and end up in hospital. Unfortunately flintknapping will always have that asscociation for me now :(

Hero - My dog he is always happy and makes sure i get out for a walk everyday :D

Plans - a new career. Get out of the office. I can't look at these walls for much longer

Cheers
Rich

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Oooookay..

Low:- Very little time spent in the boonies.
High:- Hmmm.... Probably something related to the VE day commemorations.
Hero:- Make a point of not having them.
2006:- Make it a better year than this one, which has not, frankly, been one of my best.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Highpoint(s). Buying my frst house. Getting engaged to my long time girlfriend at night, by a campfire at an Iron Age Hill Fort in the forest. Progressing from Forester of a dump to Ranger for a SSSI and Schedualed Ancient Monument site. Getting Search and Rescue Technician certified. Getting to the Arctic with Ray and Lars. Being offered a bushcraft television show (que floods of questions)

Lowpoint. Not getting out enough and simply enjoying the woods.

Hero. The Dog, Scruffy, for always being happy and not overly concerned that he doesnt understand everything..............anything.

Plans. Get out and learn more and do more in the wilds. ML qualification.

T

TimB

Lowpoint - The loss of my Grandfather (a truely great man who taught me loads about country ways and working with wood) and my Uncle Phil ( a fantastic fisherman and lover of nature) within 3 weeks of each other.

Highpoint - Joining the Air Training Corps as a Civilian Instructor, giving me the chance to put something back into somethink that gave me a lot when I was younger.

Hero - Debbs for being there for me over a bumpy year.

2006 - Moving into the new house and all the fun and games with that! Getting into Bushcraft much more, getting out to a many meets I can (providing I'm able to put down the paintbrush) I'm also thinking about an expedition of some sort in Sweeden involving canoing / kayaking and wild camping (inspired by a thread on this forum)

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Highpoints: Winning the expedition competition, although I now have to wait until Jan 07 for my trip to the Sweden. Also obtaining access to some private woods.

Lowpoint: Having my job eliminated and being placed at risk of redundancy, although I found a new position fairly quickly it was still not much fun.

Hero: My son Josh, for inspiring me to be a better person.

2006: Getting out and camping/bushcrafting more often. Learning more about edible plants and fungus. Getting fit for my expedition.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Lowpoint - None really, this year has been quite good to me :lmao: .

Highpoint - Watching roe deers in a huge bit of forest for HOURS. They didn't have a clue I was there. Swazi jackets really are totally silent and blend in amazingly well.

Hero(ine) - It's got to be my girlfriend, she not only puts up with my bushcrafty aspirations, but actively encourages them. AND she got me a handmade crooked knife for christmas :You_Rock_ .

2006 - New job (hopefully - john lewis are 'letting me go' in the new year :cussing: ....) and a month long trek around England's forests. Can't wait :p .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lowpoint - Being air lifted from The Rigg after falling and breaking a fibula and collar bone.

Highpoint - Being air lifted from The ......... & Woodsmoke course in October

Hero - Probably my other half for washing my socks each week

Plans - Getting married in July - hopefully still managing to get out and about

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Lowpoint - having to get some new bits fitted and spending too much of the spring & summer on the sofa, infront of the telly.

Highpoint - getting the new bits fitted and being able to get out more. Moving to a house in the sticks that backs on to some woodland and has room for a fire pit.

Hero - I admire too many people for the skills that they have continued to work on throughout their lives. Mel for putting up with me. Wayne for taking a plunge.

Plans for 06 - spending more time outside and learning stuff with my newly fitted bits. More Field Archery at a BCUK meet. More Field Archery. A couple of weeks or so with Mel and a Landy in Namibia.

Oct 18, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire, UK
High Point - Finding bushcraftuk.com on the net, it's a fab site!

Low Point - Having to quit my part-time job, now I have very little spending money.

Hero - Never really had one tbh.

2006 - Get a new job, go to university and do more bushcrafting!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
High Point - Camping in Scotland in September. We had a super time.

Low Point - Being blown off a Skye campsite

Hero - has to be Mr Mears for me. He was the one who inspired me to get into bushcraft in the first place

2006 - moving house to Surrey, and therefore being able to get out and about more easily than in London

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
high point- the summer moot at merthyr mawr, i met many great people and had a fantastic time.
low point- my cars engine blowing .
hero- my father. for too many reasons to mention
2006- big changes, i'm leaving the RAF after 15 years and am going to have to find a new job. scary.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
highpoint---stealing some time to watch perigrines on the nest and in the air.son getting his first job.Finding this site ,think its about a year to the day.I learnend, laughed and was astonished on a regular basis.

lowpoint----family health problems and working altogether,much to hard, much to often.kicking off an obsession with torches-thanks for that B.B(not really a low point,but jamies know what I mean).

hero-------- tricky one this,no its not----all those who posted on the 'bushcrafting with health problems'.well done all :You_Rock_

2006----- get out and about more, and lastly(see lowpoint re this) get to a meetup.

All the best to you and yours!

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Highpoint-Discovering BCUK
Lowpoint-Not having enough time on my hands to be involved in bushcraft and
realising that London is not the most suitable place to live.
Hero-?
2006-Will get more involved in bushcraft.
Clayton

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Highpoint

1)Teaching scouts that they can get a fire from a tiny spark and a tinder they put together themselves

2) Finding BCUK

Lowpoint

When the fire won't light

Hero

Tony. For holding this great community together.

Plans for 06

To meet new surprises

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE