2 months and 900miles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I'll try and dig them out of the loft next time I'm home then (that should be fun........).

Have you decided where you're starting yet?

Jake.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I can't help but be interested, at a meet when we were hitting each other with "What's your ultimate bushcraft holiday?"...
...mine was John "O" Groats to Land's End starting st*rk-b*llock-n*ked with no assistance avoiding humanity as much as possible. :rolleyes:
Not during midgie season though. ;)

J

JadaFecT

im so glad I found this thread, I've also been planning this exact walk. I'm currently getting in training for summer of 2007 as I have other plans this summer. I'm so looking forward to it and alot of these posts have helped me out also. thank you :)

Good luck to the people that are planning the same journey - im sure it'll be amazing!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Grooveski said:
I can't help but be interested, at a meet when we were hitting each other with "What's your ultimate bushcraft holiday?"...
...mine was John "O" Groats to Land's End starting st*rk-b*llock-n*ked with no assistance avoiding humanity as much as possible. :rolleyes:
Not during midgie season though. ;)
Humanity would probably be avoiding you anyway :lmao:

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
redflex said:
If you post a route plan then we all can see where abouts you will be. Think you will find most of us more than happy to support your trip.

i will be posting a map of the route and the town or villages i plan to stop at, but i don't have all the maps that i need but in the next few weeks i should have them all.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Firstly - go for it. Secondly - good luck.

Lot of stuff already covered. I ( in extremely small way ) gave a hand to Simon King a few years back ( NO not that Simon King ), he did Sussex to Lands End then John O Groats with a pony and wagon - see Simon King Return to the Land - via Google or Allied Special Forces Association webpage.

Simon overcame a great deal of negatives - but that was part of the challenge. Think that things got rather complex toward the end and he was glad to be done and get back to a day job. But nothing detracts from the achievement and I hope he can look back with considerable pride - both for what he did and more importantly how he helped/ affected others along the way.

Charity wise it can be fraught - because lots of people try that route. But everything helps. Do it for you first and if that generates some cash or publicity for a good cause then great. The A9 does tend to be littered with walkers, bikers etc on this run between June and September - so what!

It is trying that counts. Strange things happen when you step out of the grey of everyday life - a lot of it very good.

I am fortunate to split time between Glasgow and Forres and have good contacts more or less the route from Crawford up to Inverness. Happy to help - ended up giving Simon my house for two days!! If you would like to talk with Simon I can make contact and check how is is doing - let me know via PM.

Simon had neither walked nor worked horses before the trip - he learned fast! By the latter weeks his pace was incredible. ONly downside - he didnt want to leave Scotland :)

Safe journey

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Just thought of another question, how cold can it get at night in northern Scotland in early October? I'm not convinced the sleeping bag will handle it.

Charging the mobile shouldn't be too much of a problem, either one of those wind-up thingies, or just charge up in a campsite or at a youth hostel. Mobiles don't have to be switched on all the time you know. ;)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
It does get cold at night at that time of year but a decent sleeping bag should be ok, if it gets cold just wear everything you have.

The Mobilephone should be ok on the Coast but if you go inland it may not work, don't believe those maps that show you what area your phone covers.

Also try this >>

http://www.landsendjohnogroats.info/index.html this one is good as we get a mention under B&B

and this

http://www.landsendjohnogroats.com/index.htm

MickT

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE