1st paddle of my new canoe River mersey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
1st trip out in my canoe.

Following on from this thread
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html

We organised to paddle the Mersey river on Sunday. Stu and Helen came up and picked up Tom and his kayak and off we went down to stockport for the put in. Participants for the days frivolities were Lin (swmbo), myself, Stuart from apache canoes, Helen ( stu’s swmbo) and Tom. Now Stu , Helen and Tom are all very experienced so we felt in safe hands. As I have known Tom since he was knee high to a grass hopper and he has always been involved in paddling white water so a simple river should be no problem……..If only he had remembered his spraydeck.
After organising the car shuttles between northenden and stockport into the water we went. At Northenden we spotted 2 canoes on the bank and wondered if we would meet up with them later….we did by the way.

Time for a quick brew before we set off and getting my canoe ready.
P1010528.jpg

Tom had forgot his spray deck so it was going to be an interesting day repeatedly finding out the water temp and how deep various parts of the river were.
P1010530.jpg

Don’t laugh to hard but gingerly getting in
P1010531.jpg

About 100 meters down the river came our first attempt at a portage. Well it was a steep learning curve as well as steep banks. Attempting to carry everything and the canoe up a steep bank and down a narrow path before getting back into the water.
Tom at this point took his first dip of the day and had to be assisted by Stu as he very nearly went down the river and over the weir. His kayak just filled with water as he turned for the get out point and he was swept off down the river. Stu did some very heroic paddling in shallow fast moving water just above the weir to get Tom and all his kit to safety.
Anyway all safe and sound with nothing more damaged than Tom’s ego we all portaged around and got back into the water. Where we re distributed kit around and set off again.
The river was flowing steadily and we were getting used to paddling as it was only our ( Lin and I’s) second paddle ever.
P1010532.jpg

With portage points like this I was beginning to wonder if paddling rivers was for me lol
P1010542.jpg

After a really nice section of easy paddling we hit a fast section and …….youm guessed it Tom took another dip. This time his kit was swept away from him and we all set off to collect it. Stu paddled over to pick up Tom. Helen, Lin and I paddled for his canoe and paddle. We failed miserably at our attempt to get his paddle but Helen sprinted around and grabbed it. Then paddled back up river to assist Stu with the “rescue” This took place in the river where the team got Tom and his kayak onto the boat and emptied without any hassle. It just goes to show what can be done if you know what you are doing. As everyone involved knew what to do. Lin and I just stayed out of the way watching and learning.
P1010544.jpg

All safe and sheepish following his dip.
P1010547.jpg

After the dip we pulled over for a brew and hot chicken soup. A change of clothes and a good laugh all round.
P1010551.jpg

Back onto the water and off stream. With Helen going sideways over an obstacle in the river ….just because she could
P1010553.jpg

As we turned the bend we spotted this home. The story has it that somebody has lived there for years. It didn’t look occupied at the present time but good on him if its true.
P1010556.jpg

Then we paddled under the m 60 and down the river.
Just before we got to this set of riffles (supposedly bigger than a ripple but not quite a rapid…. so I heard) The kind people on the bank saw us and ran back down the riverside to watch us run through the riffles whilst laughing that we would sink.
Charmed I am sure……lol
P1010560.jpg

It was an easy paddle down river picking up treasure of footballs and very nearly a beer barrel along the way before arriving at the get out point above Northenden weir.
We portaged around and as the day was still young had a play in the water. Paddling around in the white stuff and around testing out what the canoe could do. Tom borrowed a spraydeck and took his kayak back out on the water and showed us how good a paddler he really is. So we just ribbed him even harder for forgetting his spray deck
After a while all happy and tired we got the cars shuttled again and loaded up. Then we met up with Rob and a couple of others from SOTP who had just done the lower section and where mid shuttle. A nice chat and a good look at the bottom of my brand new shiny canoe that was no longer shiny as we had hit every rock along the way.
All in all a good day was had. We was in safe hands all along and other than the first spill above the weir nobody was ever in any real danger. A nice paddle and some good company exactly what I got my canoe for.
Thanks for everybody involved for make our first trip out a success.

Greg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats a nice looking canoe you have there Greg... Nice story, cheers for posting it...
Wonder who lives in a house like that...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE