1st overnight - out in the woods in Stevenage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
After much lurking and soaking up information from users here I ventured off into my local wood. Armed with a bergen full (to my surprise) of kit andmentally ready for some testing of myself, skills and ability :)

Ok a bit dramatic, but although I've spent a lot of time in my local wood photographing the wildlife and videoing badgers, I hadn't done a whole night. Even camping as a kid I hadn't gone out alone.

I camped for the day on Monday just to test the setup. Cooked lunch and chilled for the afternoon.
IMAG0012.jpg

My chosen site was in a bit of a dip, I wanted to make sure the dogwalkers wouldn't see me. I have had permission to play from the guy who manages the wood and the owners tolerate people as long as they don't leave rubbish or cause damage. No one polices it though and my girlfriend and I have done litter picks just to make it look nicer.

So anyways, went back yesterday. Pitched in the same spot. Kept myself busy by collecting wood and keeping my hobo stove burning (local kids have had bonfires and always make a mess. Even had to call the firebrigade out this week!!). Surprising how warm you can stay sitting by the tin can stove :)
IMAG0019.jpg

Even though it started raining at 1am I was toasty, warm and dry and LOVED every minute of it. Even had 10 fallow deer walk past my camp once it was dark.
IMAG0020.jpg

For the kit junkies out there I was using;
Vango Nightstar 300XL sleeping bag
http://www.intertent.co.uk/product_414-23-97_Vango-Nitestar-300-XL-Square-Sleeping-Bag.htm
Tenth Wonder Green Hornet Hammock and Sargasso Tarp
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Hammocks

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a good first trip pauly thanks for sharing mate hope to see you posting a bit more for your future outings. And yes I lit just a small fire whilst messing with a new knife the other day it was just nice sitting in the autumn air with the little crackle of a fire.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
Thanks for the replies folks. I really did enjoy it much more than I thought I would. I guess the only downside for me was that I was on my own. I've got a couple of mates very interested in hanging from trees now so hopefully they'll join me another time.

I've had some great wildlife encounters in that woodland. Its always amazing when I'm sitting still and quiet what suddenly walks past you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE