1st Middleton Scouts hammock camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A couple of weeks ago our Scout Troop did their first ever hammock camp. We set up cheap tarps with 2 or 3 hammocks under each. We had around 12 Scouts sleeping in them. They absolutely loved them and said they never wanted to use tents again.

We will probably start to purchase better quality tarps now and we also need to modify the hammocks too - no carabiners or drip loops yet, but now we know they like it and we will definitely be doing it again we can start investing a little more in our hammock kit collection and refine our hammock/tarp skills.

One of the best things (from my point of view) was that when we left on Sunday you would hardly know we had been there, normally there are lots of areas of flattened vegetation showing where the tents were. On this camp we only had a couple of tents up for food and kit storage.

We are heading out in them again in a couple of weeks.

I tried to load photos up when i originally posted but just couldn't get it to work. Strange since I've posted photos on other threads. However, if you're interested check out the gallery on our website - the hammock camp is in "gallery 3". We are off tomorrow night on another camp. Spending the first night in hammocks, the second night in shelters that the Scouts will have built on Saturday.

www.1stmiddletonscouts.com

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Looks like you had a great time!

I have just taken delivery of 6 hammocks and tarps for my explorer unit. We'll be running our first camp with them in october.

Rob

Rob, when you've done your camp let us know how your Explorers get on using hammocks at that time of year - I've been wondering if Scouts in hammocks in Autumn is feasible without buying or making underquilts so I'd be interested in how the older ones find it. Our Young Leader came with us this weekend and had his first night in a hammock and loved it.
We just ordered a parachute through a group buy on this site - can't wait to use it as the canopy at the centre of our next camp.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
We just ordered a parachute through a group buy on this site - can't wait to use it as the canopy at the centre of our next camp.

That's why i ordered one on the group buy too!

Re. tarps- our Explorers just use the cheap camo woven tarps that can be obtained for a few quid (alongside DD Scout hammocks). The only problem is that the eyelets rip out easily, so we have to do quite a few running repairs, and there is no central tie up point- but this can be rectified with the small pebble/acorn trick. But on a budget, they are excellent.

We are using the cheap woven camo tarps too. Think I got a set of 10 for about £50. We found we can get 2 hammocks under each tarp so the Scouts have a bit of company. We even got 3 hammocks under 1 tarp at one spot on site where there were 3 trees in a triangle.
The tarps probably won't last long but now we know that the group likes using the hammocks we will start to invest in some better quality tarps.

rulyg26

Jan 5, 2012
Aspull, Wigan
Hi I'm an explorer at 3rd Hindley Scouts and wondering whats the best way to get the rest of my troop in to hammocking,any ideas?

George
very new to the forum as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE