1st Knife: Handling a Fieldcrafter-UK knife blank - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Hi all, this is my first knife build and I'm quite proud. No doubt the experienced among you will be able to offer me advice to improve the process for when I handle the 2nd blank in the future.
I have used a Mora Robust Carbon since getting into bushcraft and have been very happy. I'd promised myself a nice knife in the future but leapt at the chance to have one when Matt offered his Fieldcrafter-UK blanks at such a bargain price. I order both sizes intending to do one for me and one for the wife. I love the knives but I have to be honest, the full size is a massive brute and the smaller one fits me well so I'll probably keep that as my main user with the big one as a serious beating tool. The small version was too large for my wife who has ended up with a Condor Mini-Bushlore.
So to begin....

Knife Making 9-8-13 (1) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Marking the spalted birch scales and pin holes:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (4) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Drilling the scales:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (5) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Assembling ready for rough cutting:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (10) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Rough cutting before gluing:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (13) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Gluing:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (16) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Sanding:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (17) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
More sanding:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (18) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
First coat of Danish oil:

Knife Making 9-8-13 (19) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Finished!

Knife Making 9-8-13 (20) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr

Knife Making 9-8-13 (21) by Peak Instruction, on Flickr

Half a day's work, low cost:
Blank - £25
Scales - £7
Pins & tube - £6
Total spend = £38.00
Just need a nice sheath.

Thanks for looking!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nicely done, especially for a first go - but I knew it'd be good when I saw the kettle and Ty-Phoo next to the pillar drill!.....................atb mac

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I did consider liners and I have in fact got some black ones ready for the other blank as it's gonna take some hammer in use and I'd like to make the 2 subtly different.
I really like the simple wood and metal look though - traditional.
I used the spare scale wood yesterday and made a very OTT firesteel handle. It has 2 pins and some 8mm tube and black liners. I'm waiting for the ferro rod to turn up them I'll put up a picture of the matching set. Apparently I've a sheath coming for my birthday next week too!

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I'd be very happy with that. Looks like a really good blade and nice to put something together so cheap as well. From your pics I really appreciate the thickness of the blade and the length of the handle relative to the blade. Only thing I'd add would be black liners but that's just personal choice. Enjoy a brew!

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
After handling the smaller Fieldcrafter-UK knife in spalted birch I couldn't resist making the larger one in a matching wood. I'll use the small for everyday stuff and the big one for battoning and serious heavy use.
I took the small pieces of wood left over and glued them together with a bit of black liner to make a ferro rod handle. I added the tube and pins to match the knives.

The finished set by Peak Instruction, on Flickr
Not the best quality photo I'm afraid but I'm really happy with both my work and the excellent Fieldcrafter-UK knife blanks.
Just need some nice sheaths now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE