1lb 3oz carving axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Owen Bush

Dec 6, 2006
welling Kent
Here is my take on a small carving axe.
The axe if made by the punch and drift method and is Hot punched and then Hand forged out of a solid billet of EN9 (1050) steel. I work with hand hammer , power hammer and power press.
The blade is triple normalised and differentially hardened in oil, it is them tempered twice (standard HT for me).
The axe weighs 1lb 3oz including the handle .
The balance point is just about in line with the lower edge of the blade so with your hand up tight behind the beard all the weight is up close to your hand.
This axe is slim bladed, 4mm thick 1cm behind the edge.
The blade is 3 1/2 inches long and just under 5 inches front to back .
The handle is 16 inches long and made from a loverly piece of rippled flame blackened ash I carved the handle with a double sided pommel swell.
thanks for looking.

6846759989_09c582222b_b.jpg

6846759979_ee8c4583c6_b.jpg

hope you like it All the best Owen

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hmm, interesting.

I'll admit that I'm spoiled by my Gransfors carving axe - to me a carving axe needs to have a long, and backswept, cutting edge. I'd probably think of this axe being a more general purpose, but still wood-shaping, axe.

The head looks nice - a sort of carpenter's axe with a more rounded cutting edge could be very effective. I also like bearded axes anyway.

I think I would have put this on a 12 or 14 inch handle (likely 12 inch?) rather than the 16. The 16 looks too long for an axe where one handed, choked up use will be common. I'm also not keen on the blackened look.

It would be interesting to read a 'user' review of this axe.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE