1984 dated Berghaus Crusader 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Hi chaps. I am a long time fairly quiet member, but have recently been dusting off my kit, and sharpening some old skills. In pursuit of this end, I recently brought a new (old) rucksack, for a tenner, from a militaria show. It was OG, had a Berghaus name patch, and a quick inspection seemed to suggest that it was still fit for purpose. I paid the cash, and moved on.
A closer inspection at home, a bit of research, (and the interior label!) told me that it dated from 1984 and was a Crusader 2. This I discovered is a good thing. I was aware of bergans, and had owned an earlier type in the past. The thing I am beginning to be aware of, is that it is a very early Crusader. I now also believe that it may be a canvas one. The material is quite coarse, and closely woven. At first I just assumed it to be Cordura, but am not sure what sort of canvas was used for the early Crusaders.
I hope to post some pics soon, but welcome any knowledgeable replies in the meantime.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think the earlier Crusaders and Cyclops Roc's lacked side compression straps and the plastic ski attachments were more rounded at the edges. I read somewhere that Berghaus had to use canvas as they ran out of Cordura during the Falklands conflict era, I'm not sure this is correct though as the canvas rucks appear to pre date the Cordura? Anyway if you haven't seen it you might like this thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67842

Look forward to seeing the photos!

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
So....I'm usually fine with ID ing Cordura. However, in this instance I'm not certain, primarily because I'm not sure just what sort of canvas was used on the very early Crusaders.

All replies gratefully received.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like Cordura to me ... put a flame to the hairy worn bits - if it shrivels it is Cordura, if it chars it is canvas... have water handy to avoid conflagrations! :)

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling it was cordura, in fact....I'd have had no doubt, if I hadn't read about the early canvas versions. Great stuff! Heh...I very pleased with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE