16th Knife Just About Finished.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I would love to have a look at your jig if possible . I have over ground 2 so far and spoiled 1 by getting carried away . I'm ok if ive forged the bevel but fail massively when grinding a knife to a design

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Oh and I just used a craft knife to cut out the design . And if detailed I used carbon paper to transfer the design onto the tape ;)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Now that's a thing of beauty how much do u sell a knife like that for?? Or do u just make them for yourself?? So much skill involved in that build top top top work

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Now that's a thing of beauty how much do u sell a knife like that for?? Or do u just make them for yourself?? So much skill involved in that build top top top work

Thanks for the kind words!!

I don't usually sell my knives.This one was going to be a user for myself but I was pestered into selling it by a friend's wife for his Christmas. It went for £140 with sheath that i'm yet to make.I don't really mind as this is the first of a batch of six i'm making.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Stunning knife I'd be happy to own that,, your selling yourself short at £140!

Thanks Rob! Appreciated mate!

I'm not making knives for profit, I just enjoy the creative aspect. I didn't really know how much to ask for this one and as it was going to a friend I couldn't be too mercenary about it. £140 will cover all my materials costs for the whole batch of 6 knives so i'm happy that my hobby is pretty much paying for itself. I'm interested to know what you think a knife like this should sell for?

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work Daz.

If that was me.. i'd price that at around £160/£170 with a sheath. But it aint me, so how much do you think its worth? Best way is to give yourself an hourly rate thats fair to you, work out the hours, add the material cost and production cost and that should give you a figure. :)

I'm interested to know what you think a knife like this should sell for?

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks Mark! I'm only making knives for my own pleasure so I've no idea how many man-hours went into this one.....Too many mate!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You don't need to tell me how long the damn things can take, i have no life because of how long the damn things do take :D

Your work is good Daz, especially as they are filed rather than ground. Bet it took a while to get so proficient at it :)

Keep it up fella, and if your going to sell...take note of how long things take. Generally you will short change yourself, rather than overcharge. I made a bowie last year that took 52 hours including the sheath. it was made from D2 though, so no way could i get what it would be worth if i charged minimum wage for my time!! Should have sold for about £450 at minimum wage including the costs of making it....never seen getting that though :(

Thanks Mark! I'm only making knives for my own pleasure so I've no idea how many man-hours went into this one.....Too many mate!!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yeah, we're never going to make our fortunes at this game Mark! But we still do it! If I worked out how much I should charge I'd probably pack it in!! I just like creating something that's meaningful to me I guess. It certainly wouldn't be easy making a living from it!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I've just enjoyed your thread on BB regarding your up's and downs through your journey to where you are now . :approve: I've had a few upsets myself and I'm nowhere near where you are now churning out beautifully crafted knives . You're jig is elegantly simple yet brilliant in my mind so I may have to pinch the idea with what I can find . Like you I am in it just for the satisfaction and hope to make a honest profit one day in doing something I enjoy in my spare time . Keep on posting goodjob

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks mate! There are a lot of highs and lows but it is still strangely addictive! I'll look forward to seeing some of your creations!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Mine are pants in comparison to yours . Here is my edc I made for around the man cave and garden . The sheath is an old apron pocket and looks like one too . Lol
udybyty8.jpg
ujy3ypup.jpg

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Mine are pants in comparison to yours . Here is my edc I made for around the man cave and garden . The sheath is an old apron pocket and looks like one too . Lol
udybyty8.jpg
ujy3ypup.jpg

Looks good to me mate! I like the profile,i bet it feels great in the hand!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
It's comfy I'll give it that . I'm alright hitting them into shape . But your knives have form and function my effort is function over form lol . I will keep at it because its so dam addictive
u9yre6am.jpg

Paddytray .;

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384697969024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384697969024.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE