16ft Apache canoe kit in Congo colour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Took delivery of my new canoe kit this evening. The proprietor dropped it off himself and he is a thoroughly nice bloke, extremely helpful. I can't wait to get stuck into it. Only managed to trim the excess material this evening as I'm shattered. I'll have another go tomorrow.

DSC_0178_zps4120e6d8.jpg

DSC_0179_zpsc341a932.jpg

DSC_0184_zpsf91ff21b.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lucky beggar, a new toy to covet over the winter. (Can I ask, can't see with the angle of the photos - is "Congo" = brown, or the colour of Umbongo?)

Your garage will have that new canoe smell when you head in in the morning.

Have fun.
GB.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Lucky beggar, a new toy to covet over the winter. (Can I ask, can't see with the angle of the photos - is "Congo" = brown, or the colour of Umbongo?)

Your garage will have that new canoe smell when you head in in the morning.

Have fun.
GB.

Ha ha Congo is a brown mate. The garage stinks of fiberglass at the moment if thats what you mean. I can't wait to get the stage of oiling the timber.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I can second that, Stu from Apache is a nice bloke to deal with and excellent customer service.

I purchase a Tribe hull from him earlier this year and a plank of Ash (I got my gunwales cut and planed at work;) and made my own seats) instead of the kit. Great project for over winter but if your owt like me I'd finished mine in a couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get it wet:eek:.

Here's mine.......

And here's a link to my PB build if it helps you out......http://s982.photobucket.com/user/BlackSheep-Leather/story/10663

Richard

Last edited:

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
You'll love it when your finished. I have a 16 in ivory. Great to paddle and holds loads of kit for overnights or trips

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ooh! I don't know about "Congo", it looks more like "Galaxy milk" to me but It'll make a bonny boat, regardless of what it's called.

If ever you fancy dipping a paddle in the Lakes, just drop me a pm, if I can make it, I'll join you no problem at all.

best wishes

Steve

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I have seen the green/white one.. nice but i'll want a green or brown one... of some sort... plus no money till next year :)

It's an ivory one he has up at the moment.Shame about the money (know how you feel) the beauty is he'll do you a kit anytime you want :)
edit to say the ivory kit has been sold..

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had an Alan Bridges canoe in what was described as "Honey Gold" but was universally known as "The Puppy Sh1t Brown" canoe.
What is in a name if the canoe paddles well!
I only sold the PSB canoe to buy an Alan Bridges Birch Creek 16 built to my spec :)
I am enjoying this thread and I hope you enjoy the hours of paddling that your Congo boat gives you:)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Both lovely canoes. I love being on the water, never done more than a couple of hours at a time sadly, well not on a canoe. Did two weeks on a barge with the family. To just go with me and the dog for a week of bliss ( big sigh ). Next year for sure.
Happy canoeing mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE