15 or less challenge- very pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
i aggree with what southey has said and no one can say it wasnt "bushcrafting", I for one am not as saying that as one persons bushcrafting is something completely diffrernt to someone else idea. as i said Ben showed some good skills which shows how knowing the stuff we all aim to learn helps you when out and about. I think doing chellendge like this is a great way to build confidence in your skills.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I wouldnt call myself a bushcrafter, i just enjoy getting out to the wild as i like the peace and quiet.
The comeptition was for 2 nights with as less kit as possible- i could of ditched the lighter for a knife and made a bow drill, but then i would have to find tinder after heavy rain ect. I always have a lighter and only have a knife if im going to camp- so for me its better learning with the lighter.
I wanted to test myself to see if i could do it and i did, i know they say about the lining in cans but they also say the ingredient in coke causes cancer and i still drink that.
I also could of left food at home but then i would have to carry my .22 or slingshot, ammo, a knife to skin game/make traps and i wanted to take the least amout of kit as possible :)

I enjoyed my time out, i have not been ill from the water or cans and i have learnt new skills, so i am happy :)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Surely it's just about getting out how ever you want and enjoying what's there, who are we to say what is and what isn't "Bushcraft"? get out , enjoy the world and do it with respect for it and others.

What Southey said! :35:

Gordy

Last edited:

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Benn,
Whereabouts are you camping? It looks as if you are not far off the Taff trail.
But as Andybysea mentioned there are to many health risks involved just for an overnight camp.

Frogo

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
If you walk the taff trail and come out near cilfynydd there is a small woodland area on the left, the water runs down from eglwysilan moutain and ive drank straight from it as a child (not knowing about the nasties) and was never ill thankfully :p

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Hi Beenn,

I have walked the Taff trail several times and camped out along the way.
Do you venture any farther out, there are some real good spots along the rhymney ridge way path near Rudry also there are some good spots on machen mountain.
Frogo

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I sent a pm mate :)
I havent been too far on the taff trail as i normally camp on eglwysilan mountain, would be intrested in walking the trail and camping along the way, thanks again :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Ingenious indeed, inspiring stuff, wonder how much litter is cleared by bushcrafters nationally?

Alot! :p I have removed many black bags of rubbish from areas when i camp- get some funny looks for it but who cares :)
I once removed a tesco trolly from around 3 miles into the woodland! :rofl:

Camper

Banned
May 14, 2011
Wales
nice thread, and btw i cooked in empty cans for years and never had any trouble.
love the frying pan and piccys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE