1400 year old brooch found in Kerry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi all, this was recently in the Kerryman.ie :

kerryman said:
By DÓNAL NOLAN dnolan@kerryman.ie
Wednesday February 03 2010
OVER 1,400 years after Christians first began spreading the gospel in Kerry a Ballylongford family has made the startling find of a bronze brooch in the peat ashes of their range, bridging the time gap in an instant and stunning archaeologists.

The brooch — which is embossed with a cross — has been described as a national treasure and is dated to earliest Christian times in Kerry over 1,400 years ago.

The second cross of its kind ever to be found in the county, it is to go on display at the Kerry Museum for posterity in the coming months.

Buried deep in the bog of Tullahinell for a millenium and a half, the brooch found itself in human fingers once again as Pat Joe and Sheila Edgeworth of Mortara, Ballylongford, went to inspect a puzzling item stuck in the grate of their range.

"Sheila found it while cleaning the grate. 'What in the name of God is this?" she asked me. I said it looked like half a donkey's mouth-bit as they were always drawing turf out with donkeys," Pat Joe explained.

"It was blackened from the fire, but as we looked at it closer and cleaned it up I had a good idea it was a brooch, because it was similar to ones I had seen in books," he added.

It had been drawn from the Edgeworth's own plot at the bog and was cut out by machine last Summer. The last person to have touched the piece is thought to have been a religious man of some standing. But for lodging in the grate, his brooch might well have returned to the land.

The Tullahinell brooch is now in the National paint decorating the metalwork.

The tale recalls that of the Duagh Ciborium, the penal times chalice that was lost when British soliders routed a rock Mass outside the village in the 1600s. The Ciborium found its way right back to its parish home over 300 years later, when a priest noticed it lodged in a sod of turf as he went to throw it on the fire in the presbytery. Museum of Ireland for dating and cleaning.

"They make out it was a religious man who would have worn it, to fasten his cape, as there was a cross on it. They told us that if it had been made of iron it wouldn't have survived in the bog, but as it was bronze it was kept in good condition," Pat Joe added.

Experts say the only damage caused to the brooch by the fire is the likely loss of red enamel

Impressive find.. :) Okay everyone, start checking your fires.. :eek:

Cheers,

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
I always find these stories so amazing, but also so frustrating. It makes me think of how random the discovery of so many treasures has been, and how tantalizingly close so many more must have come to being discovered only to slip back into the folds of the earth through chance, ignorance or any number of other reasons.

Just glad that this was found and will now be available to us.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE