101 Uses of an Alan Wood Woodlore....No.37

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
All,

Thought you might be interested in seeing how a Woodlore flies.....

We seem to be dead against throwing our knives over here in the UK (something vaugley yobbish about it I think) however in Sweden, Norway etc knife and axe throwing is very popular and there are lots of competitions for doing it.
I guess the Vikings started it by throwing their Axes....

Anyway, this is how well the woodlore can fly..... enjoy:

http://www.lightningstorm.co.uk/woodlore.mpg

Cheers,

Bam. :D

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Cool, as long as you are "sticking" it all the time its ok, its when you start bouncing it all the time that things get broken! I did a bit of knife throwing practice last year and got not bad at it, I found that its all in your distance, and I did break the handle on a bowie while learning.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
mojofilter said:
Cool, as long as you are "sticking" it all the time its ok, its when you start bouncing it all the time that things get broken! I did a bit of knife throwing practice last year and got not bad at it, I found that its all in your distance, and I did break the handle on a bowie while learning.

Yep,that's why we grown ups don't throw good knives. :p
I destroyed several knives when I was a lad.Then used sense and bought throwing knives to practice with. :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
BorderReiver said:
Yep,that's why we grown ups don't throw good knives. :p
I destroyed several knives when I was a lad.Then used sense and bought throwing knives to practice with. :)
Wow, that reminds me that when we were kids at primary school, one of the favourite games for the boys was 'Chicken!'

It involved standing with your legs apart, all in a circle, then someone producing a SAK and proceeding to throw it into the ground as close to the foot of the boy opposite. If he moved his foot as the knife whizzed towards it he got a good roar of 'Chicken!' :D Not that dangerous as the SAK was probably blunt as hell and would normally simply bounce off the shoe if it actually hit. More interesting was when the guy was a poor shotor simply let go too early trying to use too much force and the SAK would be liable to end up anywhere :eek:

Such were the simple pleasures of childhood :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
We called it "split your kipper", if I remember you had to move your foot to where knife stuck in, then take it turns,if knife didnt stick in ground you had to put your own foot to it, so causing you to do the splits and split your kipper! a version of twister with knives!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Goose said:
We called it "split your kipper", if I remember you had to move your foot to where knife stuck in, then take it turns,if knife didnt stick in ground you had to put your own foot to it, so causing you to do the splits and split your kipper! a version of twister with knives!

Lol....we played this game too but called it "Split the kipper" rather than "your" kipper....lol

Happy days! :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
Lol....we played this game too but called it "Split the kipper" rather than "your" kipper....lol

Happy days! :D
Could have been, been a while since I have played! Responsible adult now with responsibilities, fancy a game at south wales? :D

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
We used to play "knifey". You went on one of those rope swings that were always around, you know the ones with a stick tied as a seat. You went on the swing with a knife and had three swings during which you had to stick the knife somewhere, ground, tree, where ever. The next person had three swings to retrieve the knife and stick it somewhere else. If you could not retrieve the knife you were out. The onlyy catch was if you managed to put the knife where no one else could get it you did not win unless you could retrieve it, so no point in just throwing the knife. You could also play the game with a sharpened stick but then you could not stick it in a tree.

i have many fond memories of hanging upside down from a swing holding onto a tree with a knife gripped in my teeth pulling myself into a difficult spot to place the knife out of reach.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
STOTRE and me used to play the same with Darts!

until I got one in my knee cap (which hurts :D )

and my Dad thought he had wood worm in his Garage door, until he found our Throwing Knives :D

S

stonepaws

the tree game was great, suddenly all came back, we also used to play a version of chicken where you started with your legs apart, your mate throws the knife to stick in the ground between your legs, you then had to bring one leg in to where the knife had landed thus slowly reducing the gap...... "chicken!"

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Knife throwing! New to me!

I have the time and energy to walk over and do it, lol. :)

So did you buy the knife just to throw? Whats the 101 uses for throwing a Woodlore knife then?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Mutley said:
Knife throwing! New to me!

I have the time and energy to walk over and do it, lol. :)

So did you buy the knife just to throw? Whats the 101 uses for throwing a Woodlore knife then?

New to you....ok, well it's like throwing anything else....but with a knife :p

You may have the time to walk over....but not the speed ;) Race ya :p

It's not my knife, without starting an arguement I wouldn't pay that price for ANY knife...mine cost me £35 including posting.... ;)

You also mis-read the title....it was 101 uses for a Woodlore....and throwing it was use number 37! :p

Told you people over here were funny about throwing knives....I was too until I went to Sweden and found that lots of people do it over there....I guess they just make stronger knives than we do lol ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Viking said:
Good one Bam!!!

Did you film when the Sami Knife (the big one) was throwed?

No I didn't unfortunately....nor did I get the one of Preben throwing my big MoD knife which nearly knocked the target over! lol :D

I might dig out my old throwing knives and have a bash in the garden later!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Graham_S said:
if you're throwing an MoD knife, you don't need it to hit blade first! it'll bludgeon anything it hits!!!

Lol....that's what we all said...you should have heard the wacking great thump as it hit the board and I had a heck of a job getting it out again!!! lol As you say it's a duel use knife and club! lol :D To be fair it did fly well though...but then again you did need to be strong to throw that kind of weight! lol :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE