101 tips for Winter Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the coal stick ones have never failed for me I have had the same two cases for ten years and use them every year, wifely uses hers all year when out, simple and robust and great for when I used to smoke, also for fire lighting if you have one going when you get to your bivvy:) hate the chemical ones just something about the way they heat not sure why:confused:, and I just don't trust the zippo ones:D

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wristlets always makes a difference for me, they bridge the gap between your top layers and gloves\mits helps suppress cold wrists if your having to on and off your gloves alot,

udamiano

On a new journey
the coal stick ones have never failed for me I have had the same two cases for ten years and use them every year, wifely uses hers all year when out, simple and robust and great for when I used to smoke, also for fire lighting if you have one going when you get to your bivvy:) hate the chemical ones just something about the way they heat not sure why:confused:, and I just don't trust the zippo ones:D

+1 on that, totally agree on all counts

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
wash your face and if your gonna shave at night prior to getting in your pit, when you wash and more so when you shave you strip out the oils in the skin this will make you feel colder and help you on your way to a chapped face, at least at night you'll give it a chance to recover and you'll still be funky fresh!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
If your venturing into steeper terrain gain an understanding of basic avalanche assessment.

makingiceblocks.jpg

This is best achieved from correct instruction in the field rather than a book or Internet forum.

Remember rime ice grows into the wind....

megiced.jpg

A decent stove is always going to be better than a Trangia for melting lots of snow in a reasonable amount of time.

DSCF0042.jpg

Snowcaves have an ethereal quality of light

inthecave.jpg

The trio of shovel, probe, transceiver really do work in Avalanches...

DSCF1875.jpg

You might need these and know how to use them.

DSCF0038.jpg

forestwalker

Snowshoes are only to be used for walking from your car to your house (so that you can collect your skis).
I'll argue with you there. This winter I bought a pair of real snowshoes, and in steep, densely wooded terrain thay are superior to skis. More manouverable, easier to walk uphill. in deep powder you either need very long skis or you are going to sink down quite far, my snowshoes actually support me bettwr than my 2.4 m Tegsnäs in that kind of conditions. On packed snow and open ground skis are superior.

forestwalker

• Make soups, they you get the liquids, warm liquids, into you.
  • Don't dry damp clothes by wetting your sleeping bag. On cold camps I put extra socks, etc in a drytbag in the foot section of my sleeping bag. That way they are warm and unfroozen, and my sleeping bag dry.
  • Change socks frequently, drying the previous pair inside your clothes (tied to a cord inside your shirt, tucked into the waistband of your pants, etc).
  • Electronics that need the be kept warm is kept inside the clothes as well. Also essential for headlamp batteries.
  • I like to keep knives from a cord around my neck in the cold; it is easier to fish it up by the cord than to dig for a belt under umpteen layers of clothes
  • A (cut down) washing up brush is perfect as a snow-brush, keep it in a pocket and use it to avoid getting wet when the snow melts
  • Lanyards on everything! Deep powder eats kit, and even some snow accidentally kicked over kit means it is invisible.
  • Zipper pulls should have large loops (7-10 cmis about right): if you can't manage it with mittens on you need to start thinking about how to fix it. Same goes for small buttons... Velcro will get filled with snow and become useless
  • Thin gloves (even the thinnest "work" gloves are ok here) is nice if you have to fiddle with something bare handed. Stoves, ski bindings, etc.
  • Cheap but warm gloves are nice to use as beaters for firewood handling, and such. I use insulated work gloves, costs about SEK 80 or so, lasts 1-2 winters.
  • Make sure your clothes can cover a range of conditions with a minimum of fuss, from hard work in fairly mild temps to sitting still in deep cold.
  • A classic wool scarf is nice, you can easilly adjust it from hanging around your neck under your anorak to wrapped up around neck and lower face, no need to dig in pockets or pack for another garment.
  • I love my thick wool balaclava. Adjustable, goes from a warm hat to covering all of my head. The Woolpower ones are ok, in particular to ski/snowshoe in, but on the thin side for when you are not working.
  • A small water bottle with a neck cord inside the clothes, keeps water unfrozen.
  • Carefull with the axe in deep cold; trees become hard and the axe can bounce rather than bite. I have a nick in my Tegnsäs skis from when I did not remove them when cutting down a tree...
  • Be a faithfull member of the Church of Wool, and the Sacred Fiber will keep you Warm.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
DO NOT put your mitts or gloves down on the snow!
Use idiot strings, stuff them down your top, clip them on your outer belt,stick them in a pocket.

da C.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Maintain hydration - just because it's cold doesn't mean you are not losing water from the body. Every breath contains water vapour that is lost to you when you breathe out. You must replace it or your cognitive and physical capabilities will rapidly diminish!

In mountaineering, we frequently spend significant amounts of boring and tedious time at the bivvy melting snow (thank God for Jetboil and MSR XGK) so, in bushcraft, have a more efficient method for making water from snow!

Finally, have a pee bottle in he tent/shelter. Mark it clearly! And ... deep breath ... use it as a water bottle bottle when you've filled it. That's your body warmth you're losing otherwise!

Oh God... make sure bottle closes tightly ... eeuuuwww!

Next

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Always attach gloves/mitts with a leash to your jacket to prevent loss. I've seen it happen, 1 dropped glove and a gust of wind and it was away, the guy was lucky that someone else had a spare pair (another handy tip).

Washing up brush hung on entrance to tent, is handy for brushing off snow before entering.
Sticky "Klister" wax on the central section of cross country skis helps to go up small gradients, "herring boning" then only necessary on steeper parts.
In sunny, snowy environments, look out for sunburn. Take special care of lips, as in dry conditions chapped lips can easily become very uncomfortable.
Keep your small camera warm inside your coat.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Always attach gloves/mitts with a leash to your jacket to prevent loss. I've seen it happen, 1 dropped glove and a gust of wind and it was away, the guy was lucky that someone else had a spare pair (another handy tip).

Good point! In fact, always good to carry at least one spare pair of gloves and hat.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gloves_and_Mitts.jpg

A harness or leash for retaining your gloves or mittens in Arctic conditions can be a life saver.

A lost glove can mean loss of dexterity within minutes, frost damaged fingers shortly after.

That loss of dexterity / fingers makes it difficult to achieve simple tasks like lighting a fire, building a shelter, driving a vehicle or using a radio or phone to summon help.

What's idiotic about that?

On the subject of gloves and mittens, separate liners allow for easier drying and spare liners can be used while damp ones are being dried.

Same goes for boots as well. Get spare liners and if possible get ones that can be used with multiple items of equipment.

For example, the liners of my Pac boots also fit my Mukluks which means one set of spares will serve either pair of boots.

The liners of my gloves also fit my mittens and my over mittens fit my gloves or my mittens etc. etc.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Gloves_and_Mitts.jpg

A harness or leash for retaining your gloves or mittens in Arctic conditions can be a life saver.

A lost glove can mean loss of dexterity within minutes, frost damaged fingers shortly after.

That loss of dexterity / fingers makes it difficult to achieve simple tasks like lighting a fire, building a shelter, driving a vehicle or using a radio or phone to summon help.

What's idiotic about that?

On the subject of gloves and mittens, separate liners allow for easier drying and spare liners can be used while damp ones are being dried.

Same goes for boots as well. Get spare liners and if possible get ones that can be used with multiple items of equipment.

For example, the liners of my Pac boots also fit my Mukluks which means one set of spares will serve either pair of boots.

The liners of my gloves also fit my mittens and my over mittens fit my gloves or my mittens etc. etc.

I take it the humor of the name may have been missed? are you familar with "idiot mittens"? i.e Parents used to put string between their kids gloves to stop them losing them? only an idiot can loose them if they're tied round their neck :confused:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep I had a pair on a bit of elastic which threaded through the sleeves of my snorkel parka complete with Faux fur hood trim and orange quilted lining... Good old mum.... Mind you she never got round to hand branding me a leather 'mitten harness' but we did have knitted hats and a scarf that would make Tom Baker proud....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE