1000 year old copper pointed antler arrow found in Yukon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
There's no way it was ever fired from a bow. I think it's likely a seal harpoon, the point fitting an equal shaped hollow in a spear handle and, as mentioned, a line attached. I've seen footage of Eskimo people hunched over ice holes waiting for the seal to take some air using a similar device, but more of a toggle that releases within the animal than this thing. I don't see it as an active hunting weapon, more a lying in wait weapon.
I was thinking inuit harpoon myself but they recon its an arrow head? I don' t see anything giving dimensions, what makes you think its not as they say?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was thinking inuit harpoon myself but they recon its an arrow head? I don' t see anything giving dimensions, what makes you think its not as they say?

It doesn't have a notch, it has a point designed to fit into a shaft. it isn't straight or aerodynamic, it's not a material used for arrows, and it couldn't penetrate prey to a depth that allows the barbs to be useful if shot from a bow. It's a plunging, striking weapon that requires the weight and thrust of a hunters body behind it. It also closely resembles pictures of similar hunting tools at the time. I'm reckoning fishing tool because no hunter would plunge that into a pig or moose and not expect the animal to become seriously narked about it, therefore highly dangerous.

And because I rarely believe everything I read in the news. ;)

Reactions: snappingturtle

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Might as well look at UBC/MOA documented examples as much as any thing else.
Coppermine and Yellowknife got their names with the native copper nuggets, mixed in the local river gravels.
I have handled those nuggets, pea size to maybe 20 mm.
The copper tip is a cutter which allows the insertion of the larger barbed bone section.

To contemplate its use also requires you to get a correct list of potential prey for the Pacific Northwest.

Build a fire, bang a few rocks together and forge a copper tip like that one. Interesting exercise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE