+100 lumens torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
EdS said:
OK I'm after a torch of around 100 -150 lumens. Ideally under £100 and not having to change over to a different head unit.

Any ideas?

The Surefire 9P looks possible.

How about a Fenix P1D CE? Key chain sized LED with big light punch.
5 Output Levels: 72 lumens (2.8hrs) -> 135 lumens (1hrs) -> 12 lumens (21hrs) -> Strobe -> SOS
$70 US retail price

Or how about a Streamlight TL-2? More tactical and incandescent for longer throw.
Up to 7,900 peak beam candlepower (114 lumens) for one hour.
Under $40 US.

I have the TL-2 and the P1D-CE should arrive any day now. I like both of these brands as well as others. But I think Fenix and Streamlight give great value for the money spent. I like and use my Streamlights more than my Surefires and a Fenix L0P is my EDC.

You can get more than one of each of the Fenix and Streamlight for the price of a Surefire.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
something with a cree LED in it will give you more then 100lumens on the high power. The fenix puts out a lot of light for a fair amount of time or not some much light for ages
It runs on a CR123a cell which will cost about £1, it's a small light torch with many functions but I'm not keen on twisting it back and forth (on and off) to cycle through the functions

I have a Raw NS Cree, is smaller but heavier (48g) and will give about 25minutes on high but almost 30hours on low and is rechargable. To change from low to high to simply turn teh head round a bit more, cost is a lot higher
I did a full review of the NS

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I'd go with Led over incandescent as no bulb to burn out, longer run times.
I have the Fenix P1DCE and use it as my EDC, it easily outperforms the bigger surefire 6P I have.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just spotted this at Heinnie. It's the Nextorch Flashlights - T9. 110 lumens for 90 mins and change from £30! No experience of it myself, but I have used Heinnies in the past and the service was excellent.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
There's a whole new generation of Cree LEDs coming out.

If you can wait a month or so the new lights will outshine the old ones by a long way.

These lights are small and many can run on old fashioned AA or AAA batteries instead of CR123a.

Here's some links to a few.

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=32#43

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=33#44

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=34

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=29#42

These are all made by Fenix and should be out next month. Other manufacturers will be coming out with Cree lights soon.

I was going to get the Fenix P1D CE but I think I'll go for the L2D because it runs on AAs and still puts out 135 lumens for 33 quid!

No bulbs to break, long run times and small size at a reasonable price make these lights really interesting. They've had a lot of good reviews over on Candle Power Forums and Flashlight Forums and the flashaholics are really excited about the latest LED technology.

Just think, one of these tiny torches puts out more light than a 4D Mag.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
EdS said:
how far will the Fenix throw the light. I'm after something that will throw the light a fair (50m?) distance. Sort of mini/pocket search light - if you get my drift.
For a keyring flashlight It's pretty potent, you wont be disappointed, every guy I've shown has bought one,the girls just say "what it's a torch"!
It must be a guy thing! :)
You can get brighter of course just not in such a small package.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Rebel said:
There's a whole new generation of Cree LEDs coming out.

If you can wait a month or so the new lights will outshine the old ones by a long way.

These lights are small and many can run on old fashioned AA or AAA batteries instead of CR123a.

Here's some links to a few.

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=32#43

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=33#44

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=34

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=29#42

These are all made by Fenix and should be out next month. Other manufacturers will be coming out with Cree lights soon.

I was going to get the Fenix P1D CE but I think I'll go for the L2D because it runs on AAs and still puts out 135 lumens for 33 quid!

No bulbs to break, long run times and small size at a reasonable price make these lights really interesting. They've had a lot of good reviews over on Candle Power Forums and Flashlight Forums and the flashaholics are really excited about the latest LED technology.

Just think, one of these tiny torches puts out more light than a 4D Mag.
Yeah I agree the L2D CE looks pretty good for a double AA solution.
More money on torches! doh!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My wife is a senior Mental Health Nurse and if I spent £40+ on a torch she may well have me taken in for a 72 hour assessment. Saying that, If I spent £40+ on a torch, I would ask her to take me in for assessment. Why on earth do you need to spend anywhere near that amount on a hand held light source? It can't really be justified surely?

My £1.99 headtorch and my £4.99 Lidl LED torch will do the same job around camp. This weekend I just used my head torch and one of the 50p keyring torches I sold here recently in a mini group buy and they did the job no problem

No offence meant to anyone here, its just all that money on a torch seems such a waste of cash.

PS, I took a candle as backup but it was not needed

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
rik_uk3 I know what you mean. But I've got an excuse this time, I'm after a small powerful torch for helping search for thing/people on the fells.

Sort of mini spot light. I guess some thing smaller and more powerful than my 3 cell Maglite.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
rik_uk3 said:
My wife is a senior Mental Health Nurse and if I spent £40+ on a torch she may well have me taken in for a 72 hour assessment. Saying that, If I spent £40+ on a torch, I would ask her to take me in for assessment. Why on earth do you need to spend anywhere near that amount on a hand held light source? It can't really be justified surely?

My £1.99 headtorch and my £4.99 Lidl LED torch will do the same job around camp. This weekend I just used my head torch and one of the 50p keyring torches I sold here recently in a mini group buy and they did the job no problem

No offence meant to anyone here, its just all that money on a torch seems such a waste of cash.

PS, I took a candle as backup but it was not needed

Well thats what i tough, untill one cold dark day. The LED headlight i had just didn't provide enough light to walk around. I came awfully close to tree's i missed. Thankfully there weren't much streams and other thing you don't want to walk in to accidentily.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
rik_uk3 said:

Just like your one basic Trangia then Rik? :D

Red

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
rik_uk3 said:

Until your POS cheap lights die in the middle of the night and you find yourself struggling along in the dark.

Not such a waste then, eh?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm not quite surewhich forum it's better answering you on

for throw larger diameter reflectors work better, I've seen the difference it makes with a modified mag which could have either a 5mm wide reflector or a 3inch one

all the really small pocket torches will of course have a narrow reflector so even if it puts out 100+ lumens it might not throw the light as well as a 60lumen torch

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
For throw I've always been impressed by the Streamlight 'Ultra Stinger.' Puts out a very long beam... Looks like an anorexic Maglite thought :rolleyes:

When I need throw I use either a Surefire M4 or M3T (but always carry a Surefire L4 with McGizmo McClickie protected tailcap) ;)

Regards,
Patrick

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I received my Fenix P1D CE a couple of days ago and I like it a lot. It is thicker, as expected, than the the L0P that I have been EDC'ing. But it is ok in the pocket with the rest of my stuff.

The light is incredibly bright for any size light! The low setting (12 lumens for 21 hours) is really enough for most things, but the normal and high modes give you tactical brightness in a small EDC size package. I cannot vouch for run time yet as a couple of days usage hasn't diminished the brightness and I cannot tell how much juice remains.

There are a couple of dark rings around the super bright beam center, but they are mainly noticable up close. At any appreciable range (more than a few feet), it doesn't seem to detract from the light. And even up close, it is the beam center that counts.

We had a power outage last nigh so I got to use it in almost total darkness and it lights up a room on the normal setting (72) almost as brightly as an Inova T4 (100 lumens).

I am looking forward to taking on our next camping trip where there is more darkness and distance for me to test this little light. I will probably get a Fenix L2D CE to use as an outdoors (in pack) light too. I think it has similar options and brightness as the P1D CE, but runs on two AA batteries and has longer run times.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Hellz said:
For throw I've always been impressed by the Streamlight 'Ultra Stinger.' Puts out a very long beam... Looks like an anorexic Maglite thought :rolleyes:

When I need throw I use either a Surefire M4 or M3T (but always carry a Surefire L4 with McGizmo McClickie protected tailcap) ;)

Regards,
Patrick

I have an M2 with turbo head and an Arcmania W-bin 5W tower module. Puts out a LOT of light, good throw and pretty decent run time. This one has an overacheiving LED that is comparable to X-bin brightness. Which part of Kent are you in Patrick?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE