10 books to read before you kick the bucket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
1. John Muir books are a must read.
2. Edward Abbey
3 Patterson a Dangerous River.
4 Chris Townsend. Backpacking the PTC
5 Bushtucker Man. Stories of Exploration and Survival.
6 Southern Survival Handbook by Reid Daly.
7 A very unimportant officer. dairy from WW1.
8 Winterdance Gary Paulson
9 Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez
10 Fatal Passage: The Untold Story of John Rae, the Arctic Adventurer Who Discovered the Fate of Franklin by Ken McGoogan

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
The Great Game by Harold Wyman The life and times of a welsh poacher is a great read
Brendon Chase by BB in fact anything by BB

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just found DH Thoreau’s book Walden while I was looking for Scouting for Boys in my bookcases.

It is an iconic book, but it is several ages I read it.
Basically a proto ‘back to Nature’ book.

Reactions: santaman2000
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I'm not much into books about things I do, I lean more towards books about the spirit and action of those found in critical moments, how they deal with it and what is the nature of there spirit once on the other side of it (I have had my own moments and ponder the after effects)
Book of five rings by Minimoto Musashi (thoughts and strategy's by one of the greatest of swordsmen)
lost moon, by Jim lovell (Apollo 13)
The right stuff (the mercury 7)
Ascent by Chris Bonington
Das Boot

Reactions: santaman2000

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The Great Game by Harold Wyman The life and times of a welsh poacher is a great read
Brendon Chase by BB in fact anything by BB

Another book with the title The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk about the exploits of British and Russian agents in the various ‘Stans in the 19th Century is both a highly entertaining read but also puts more recent interventions in that area into perspective.

A true life version of The Man Who Would be King - the strength of will and powers of endurance of some of the “players” in traversing deserts, mountains and snowy wastelands and enduring brutal incarceration is simply staggering.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Game-Secret-Service-High/dp/0719564476

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nomad 64, I think you would enjoy the books written by Sven Hedin.
He was the explorer that opened vast areas of central Asia.

Also wrote some hugely interesting books duing WW1, one about the Eastern Front and one about the Western Front.
Seen from the Axis point of view.

Sep 14, 2017
Horsham
I think only one person has mentioned this one so i will say it again just incase it gets missed as this one is an essentual book to read,
#1 Bushcraft by Mors Kochanshi

This one has so much interesting info and you will notice so much more that you probably ignored before,
#2 The Walkers Guide To Outdoor Clues & Signs

Ive only read the collins gem version but is good for me,
#3 Food For Free by Richard Mabey

A lot of people will hate me for this one but don't knock it until you try it,
#4 Living Wild by Bear grylls (I'd say this book is aimed more for the begginers though)

Not the best written book and can be annoying sometimes (for me anyway) but has very good info,
#5 Bushcraft First Aid by Dave Canterbury

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE